Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

Firstly, the review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" was exceptionally written. I can't believe Zachariah Martin didn't thing thoroughly about wanting to join the navy. I really do hope the effect of the Agent Orange chemical is not one, that's too hard to cure. Anyway, congratulations on BOTD 👏.
Neznic5003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neznic5003 »

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review of Randy Miller's "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath." It sounds like the book really resonated with you and that the characters and their experiences were particularly powerful. I agree that Miller's writing style is engaging and that he effectively balances the horror and humor of war. I also appreciate your comment on the book's themes of love, friendship, and devotion to duty, as well as its exploration of the aftermath of war and the struggles of veterans. I will definitely consider reading this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I'm not proud to say this, but I'm really not well informed about wars. So I'm quick to grab any book that talks about war time. Fighting in a war shows how patriotic a citizen is. The officials not paying up for compensation even after these men laid down their lives for other people is very inhumane. Additionally, congratulations Randy Miller on BOTD. Well deserved!
John Ikenwanze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Today's BOTD is an interesting historical fiction that draws attention to the woes of soldiers and gives a voices to the sailors. I am fascinated with the author's ability to spice the story up with some humour. Congratulations on making BOTD
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

This story sounds emotional, I don't like reading about war or remnants of it, as it makes me so sad. The government is known for not compensating veterans after their time in duty. Most of them end up homeless or suffered from several illnesses which the government ignores or pretends doesn't exist. Agent Orange chemical may be fictional but it tells an important story.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller looks like a really interesting historical fiction book that tells the story of the Vietnam War from the naval perspective. There is a lot of information and description that make the story come alive for each reader.
Something I have not seen in too many books is the dialogue written in the patois of the area the character hails from. I am not sure if I like reading that way because it sometimes looks like a lot of misspelled words. Perhaps this idea just takes a little more getting used to.
I think this book can hold the readers interest throughout the story
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Agent Orange doesn't discriminate between friends and foes. It's a tool that the Americans used to harm the Vietnamese, but even their own soldiers got caught up.
Queenelene
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Queenelene »

War is usually a double edged sword. Both parties are affected negatively. This is not my kind of book but I appreciate the excellent review. Congratulations to today's BOTD.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that talks about the story of how Zack and his friend enlist to serve as Blue Water Navy sailors but faced a lot of difficulties after they are back home which includes how they suffer from illnesses related to the Agent Orange chemical, and also how the Veterans Affairs department refuses to pay their well-deserved compensation. The characters are real and the plot is very emotional. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Nice review.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

A book on love, friendship, history, devotion, and so much more. This is an interesting storyline with an interesting book cover. I am a fan of historical fiction and the characters are captivating.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

A book on love, friendship, history, devotion, and so much more. This is an interesting storyline with an interesting book cover. I am a fan of historical fiction and the characters are captivating.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Thank you for this beautifully written review. You have given us such a magnificent look into the story and what we would find as we read it. Awesome work!!
I was impressed by the pages I read before coming here.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am not familiar with the Vietnam War because this historical event was not part of my school curriculum. However, if I were to learn about it, I would definitely read about it using non-fiction sources instead of historical fiction novels. However, I admit that those who are already familiar with the war may be intrigued by how the war is depicted in this fictitious story.
Congratulations to the author for BOTD!
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

While I am a little afraid to pick up an emotional book at the moment, I can't say no to a war novel. So looking forward to reading this. Congratulations on being listed as Book Of The Day.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

It is quite sad the reduced attention paid to war veterans these days. Service to one's country should be appreciated. I'm eager to find out how Randy heals from this Orange Chemical disease. Interesting review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”