Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VicEbu09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vicebu09.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by VicEbu09 »

From the review, it's obvious the author did a good job in his write up. However, it's so disheartening that some government have no proper welfare package for their force men. Why should they protest to be treated of what they have contracted due to exposure to war? Congrats on the botd.
Nove Gallamora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nove-gallamora.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Nove Gallamora »

This is a nicely written review. I love how detailed and motivating it is. Historical non-fiction books are truly enlightening. We should read more of it so we may learn from the past events of our world.
Michal Bondyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michal-bondyra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michal Bondyra »

I found this book to be an informative and well-researched look into the lesser-known aspect of the Vietnam War. The author does a good job of providing a comprehensive overview of the naval operations and their impact on the conflict. However, I felt that the book could have delved deeper into certain topics and the overall narrative felt a bit dry at times. Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 5.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

it’s quite surprising to know that the author incorporated humor in this historical book. I’m looking forward to read the book to know more about the Vietnam War. Thanks for your great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

It’s such a shame that they had to fight for compensation. I’m hoping this story has a happy ending despite the characters having to deal with agent orange.
Rose1927
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rose1927 »

This kind of book should be the one that the students or children of this generation should be reading. It would be a big impact how are we able to enjoy this kind of living and life if it is not because of this almost forgotten heroes. Anyway love this kind of book about wars and what happens before in that era.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction story following a young man and his friends as they enlist in the Navy to fight in Vietnam. The story continues when they come home and develop illnesses and side effects of exposure to Agent Orange and the Vietnam War in general. Well done.
Emma Ellard-Black
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Emma Ellard-Black »

I am always interested in reading books based on War events, and particularly have a soft spot for the Vietnam War given how much of a controversial subject it can be.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A young man with little experience enters the war and finds himself amidst the war in Vietnam. An emotionally evoking novel that exposes one to true war horrors. Congrats on BOTD!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This historical fiction novel based on true facts of Vietnam War sounds like it is well-written that tugs on the heart-strings from tears to laughter. Great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rxynx
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Soul Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rxynx.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Rxynx »

I admire your description of Randy Miller's writing style. I would love to read about heart-wrenching war experiences with some additional aspects of humor in the storyline of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath." I understand the fight for compensation when receiving minimal recognition for being a hero. I also sympathize with those who had to suffer illness from contact with a lethal substance. Great review of such a saddening yet intriguing read!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

War is bad, but even more so for the Vietnam War. After serving in the war, many soldiers were not recognized and had to fight the US government for compensation. It was love and devotion for country that lead the way; however despair and disappointment was the soldiers' reward. A very poignant tale.
Nuel Ukah 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126

Post by Nuel Ukah 1 »

This is quite an enlightening read into the challenges of soldiers, even beyond the Vietnam war.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

I believe this is a good book judging from it's review and the title is captivating too. I enjoyed reading the review and I believe that lovers of historical fictions will find pleasure reading the book. Congratulations on BOTD

Return to “Historical Fiction”