Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Re: Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I am looking foreward to read this book because I already read the other series. I am excited to know how the other membet of the team will rescue Johnny. I guess, Sarah's character will addd humor, too, as she did in the other book. :tiphat:
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction about a former army officer, his friend and a skilled tracker on the trail of a group of bandits holding a British intelligence officer prisoner. It is worth a second look. Well done.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like this intriguing plot to this novel which includes kidnap of a high ranking intelligence officer. I look forward to reading on the tracking ability of the famed Warramunga. Thanks for the insightful review.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

Sounds like a good historical fiction to me. I like the diversity in this book and you review it very well. I will add this book in my shelves. Thank you.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

It's nice that, although a trilogy, it can stand alone (as I have not read the others). It sounds like an action packed adventure novel. I'm willing to give it a go!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I have read a book that belong to this series and it was good. Highly recommend this author's work. Thank you!
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I like the sound of this one. I normally wouldn't read this without reading the others but the mystery of the missing persons and the robberies is just too intriguing to stay away from. The fact that the characters are well developed and that there is humour included makes it even better. Thank you for an engaging review!
KariD3
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karid3.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by KariD3 »

Thanks for the review, especially pointing out that the book can stand on its own. Sometimes I tend to read books out of order, picking them off the shelf of a library or bookstore and end up reading it, unaware that its a part of a series. I usually love a lot of books in the Historical Action genre, so I am interested in trying it and the other books in the series out.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Many thanks for this amazing review; however, I have to pass this book since I do not think it is one of those books that I would love to read.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I am so glad to hear this book is written so it can be read independently from the earlier ones in the series! I think that shows how talented the author is to write it that way. Great review!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I am so excited to hear this book can be read independently from the previous books in the series! That shows the author is a very skilled writer. Great review!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater is the third book of the series. Kidnapping, theft, murder, these are interesting topics to read. I liked the 2 books that published earlier. This is also a winner.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Jairby101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jairby101.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Jairby101 »

This sample has me interested! Written well and very visual.
SoraJones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SoraJones »

It's possible that the genre is what's turning me off, but I was not as fond of this book as everyone else. I've only read the sample but I found it difficult to stay engaged in the beginning. The first paragraph; so interesting! I think Greg Kater did an amazing job at writing an opening scene that, at least personally, made me want to continue reading. However, as the first chapter evolved, I felt there was too much backstory written so soon, too much not dialogue, and not enough character development (which I know is a different opinion from other reviews). Not that we should know everything about everyone in the first chapter (the opposite, in fact), but I didn't get a sense for any of the character's personalities. Even after four chapters later, I still don't really have a sense of who Johnny Cook is, nor our trio trying to rescue him. I'm curious as to how the rest of the novel plays out and if all my concerns are addressed before the end.
Ashoo098
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashoo098 »

The story tells us about the strong bond of friendship formed in the syrian campaign during the horrors of war. A book with a Beautifully crafted plot is a mixture of humor and sharp writing. There are many interesting twists in the story which keeps you hooked to the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”