Review of The Lockdown Collection

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of The Lockdown Collection

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lockdown Collection" by Barry Jacob.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In this poetry collection, Barry Jacob looks at a variety of societal and personal issues. Some of the topics covered in this collection include the harsh realities of COVID-19 and the brave resistance put against it; environmental sanitation and responsibility; the dangerous policies of the Chinese government; Ireland's inclement weather; and Rashford's humanitarian interventions, among others.

The poems generally appeared simple, so it was fairly easy for me to understand the thematic preoccupations of each poem. And I was impressed with the number of issues Barry was able to address in just forty poems. Some of the poems are critical yet insightful, like the one titled "The Dear Leader," where the poet brings concealed and forbidden truths to light.

I would say the poem that appealed to me most was "His Nickname is Shoe Polish." Adopting a somewhat comic and jeering tone, the poet comments on some of the inhumane policies of the Chinese government. I have no idea who that very leader who has been nicknamed shoe polish in London clubs is, but such policies as religious intolerance and clampdowns on free speech and peaceful protest are disturbing. By bringing these to the public's attention, Barry has made a great contribution to the struggle for social justice.

Necessary poetic devices have been used in the poems to help situate the points and concerns raised. The rhymes, repetition, and similes stood out for me. For example, I couldn't escape the effect of the repetition of the word "cardinal" in the poem titled "Disgraced Cardinals Questioned."

I noticed some misses in this poetry collection. The poem titled "The Children's Hospital" was repeated. I came across it the second time after "Rory's Masters Meltdown." Secondly, I would have appreciated it more if the author had included the year in the poem titled "Brexit" instead of only the date and month. Concerning the book's editing, I came across a couple of issues I would rather label subjective errors, given that this is a work of poetry and the author is fully equipped with his poetic licence.

Based on the aforementioned positive aspects, The Lockdown Collection receives from me a rating of four out of five stars. I removed a star due to the few misses I pointed out. This book is recommended to every lover of poetry. To the general public, you may have a great time reading the societal issues so artfully discussed in this book.

The Lockdown Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nou1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nou1234 »

"The Lockdown Collection" is a remarkable anthology that captures the essence of a historic period marked by global upheaval and introspection. Curated with care and sensitivity, this collection brings together a diverse range of voices and perspectives, offering a poignant reflection of the human experience during the challenging times of lockdown.

One of the greatest strengths of this anthology lies in its ability to chronicle the multifaceted emotions and experiences that emerged during the pandemic. Through prose, poetry, and personal reflections, the collection explores themes of isolation, resilience, hope, loss, and transformation. Each piece offers a unique lens through which readers can connect with the shared struggles, joys, and triumphs of individuals around the world.

The variety of writing styles and voices within the collection creates a dynamic and engaging reading experience. From heartfelt personal narratives to evocative poetry, the contributors skillfully convey their thoughts and emotions, allowing readers to empathize and connect with their experiences. The anthology acts as a time capsule, capturing the range of emotions felt during a period of uncertainty and inviting readers to reflect on their own journeys.

The curated selection of works demonstrates a careful balance between introspection and universal themes. The pieces not only depict the challenges and hardships but also highlight the resilience and adaptability of the human spirit. The collection is a testament to the power of art and literature as a means of expression, healing, and connection, reminding readers of the profound impact creativity can have during difficult times.

Furthermore, "The Lockdown Collection" offers a sense of solidarity and community, reminding readers that they are not alone in their experiences. The anthology serves as a platform for voices that may otherwise go unheard, amplifying diverse perspectives and experiences that reflect the global nature of the pandemic. It fosters empathy and understanding, creating a space for readers to relate to others' stories and find solace in the shared human experience.

While the anthology succeeds in capturing the essence of the lockdown period, it may have benefited from additional pieces that explore the broader social, cultural, and political implications of the pandemic. While personal narratives are essential, a more comprehensive exploration of the larger context could have further enriched the collection and deepened the reader's understanding of the interconnectedness of the world during this time.

In conclusion, "The Lockdown Collection" is a poignant and insightful anthology that encapsulates the complexity of the human experience during a challenging period of global lockdown. Through its diverse range of voices and powerful expressions, it serves as a testament to the resilience, creativity, and unity of the human spirit. This anthology will resonate with readers who seek solace, inspiration, and a deeper understanding of the collective journey we have all traversed. It stands as a testament to the power of literature to provide solace, foster connection, and illuminate the shared experiences that bind us together.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

The Locked down collection bukmar our hard history by covid 19. People is locked on his home, and people is filing fair. This book story say as how was be separate without family and friends. Hospitality terrible horor they lives on covid 19 ere. We was leaves with more sick and dead people another the world. People lost parents, children and frends in this dramatic times. Some people daid inside. I recommend this book because learnet to important is a family relationship in stressful situation.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

It sounds like a really interesting collection although I am not sure I am ready to read about Covid-19 for pleasure yet. It still feels too soon.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Well, I am a poetry lover! Hoping to have fun which I already have from the title of the poem that appeals. "His Nickname is Shoe Polish", this title develops the idea that there are several wrongs done that are not let out to the public.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”