Review of The Song: A Lesson to Live By

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: A Gift From The Heart by Lil' Iguana Books

Review of The Song: A Lesson to Live By

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Song: A Lesson to Live By" by Ilene c. Herman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book that is equal parts cute, pleasing to the ears and eyes, poetic and lyrical, and one that spreads a positive and impactful message? If not, then you should consider reading Ilene C. Herman's book The Song: A Lesson to Live By.

From the very first line, which reads, ‘A playful baboon took out his bassoon and made up a tune on a morning in June,’ the book put a smile on my face. And thus, as you can guess, the story begins with a playful baboon, who, with his bassoon, creates a tune. This tune is one that resonates through the forest. As the sound travels, it reaches the ears of various animals, from a goat and a deer to a mother giraffe and her wobbly-kneed calf. Soon, the entire forest is filled with a joyful melody as animals of all shapes and sizes join in the chorus. This is pretty much what the book is about, but it conveys a very strong and impactful message.

This book beautifully celebrates the message of ‘Unity in Diversity’ and shows us how creatures of different shapes, sizes, and species come together through the universal language of music. Moreover, I liked how the poem portrays a joyful and spontaneous collaboration wherein each animal, from the playful baboon to the white cockatoo, the sneaky fox to the slithering snakes, the cheeky chimp to the little rat, contributes its unique voice to the collective song. Despite their differences, they find common ground in the joy of making music together.

I am lucky to have received a paperback version of this book because the full-page illustrations that it contains are just awesome. All the animals come to life right before your eyes through these illustrations, and you can see them having a joyful time together.

I believe this book is perfect for read-aloud sessions, especially before bedtime. Its rhythmic flow and playful language will make it an engaging experience for children. Thus, considering all the positive aspects of the book, whether it is the lyrical and poetic writing style, the message it conveys, the pleasing illustrations it comprises, or the lasting smile it leaves on your face, I rate this book a solid 5 out of 5 stars. There is nothing to dislike about the book, and the editing is absolutely flawless.

I’d also like to mention here that though Ilene, the author of this book, is no longer among us in her human form, her work will stay in the hearts of her readers. I applaud the efforts of those who have published her work as a memorial and would donate 40% of the proceeds from the sale of this book to support critical children’s issues.

Overall, The Song: A Lesson to Live By is a must-read for all children because of the message it shares. I would recommend it to every child and adult alike.

The Song: A Lesson to Live By
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Even though I don’t personally enjoy poetry, I think kids will like this particular book. You speak of the colorful illustrations, beautiful language, and highlighted characters. The pictures, words, and animals are sure to keep kids engaged. Thanks!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”