Official Review: Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
romymaria
Currently Reading: The Color Master
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romymaria.html
Latest Review: "Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two" by Agostino Scafidi

Official Review: Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two

Post by romymaria »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two" by Agostino Scafidi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fancy Pants Poetry Volume 2 by Agostino Scafidi is his second book in a poetry series, following Fancy Pants poetry. Aesthetically, the book is pretty and has a nice font for the title, (even though you should not judge a book by its cover!) and I was intrigued by the unique title. I am always drawn to poetry and I was excited to discover a new book of poetry that I could get my hands on. Upon first opening the book, I was even more delighted to discover that it was all free-verse poetry. Free-verse poetry is hard to tackle, but I think Scafidi really makes his work flow without the usage of rhyme.

One of the downfalls of this book is the fact that most of the poems are very short and some leave you wondering what exactly is going on. Most of the poems in this collection are rather dark and strange, yet others seem to be like a puzzle. A few of them did not seem to be poems at all, but rather reflections or questions about the world. Despite this, the poems are well-written and the format is appealing. Throughout the book, I couldn't find a single grammatical error or formatting mishap.

The book has about fifty or so poems, yet they are all short so it is a pretty quick read. To be honest, this just is not my kind of poetry. I can not say there are not people out there that do enjoy these intellectual puzzle-like poems, but there is a fair warning that these poems are not full of imagery, personification and metaphors. Throughout the book, I was craving more detail in the poems because most of them don't seem to be telling a story or making a point at all.

Some of the poems are enlightening and the entire book invokes a vast amount of emotions in the reader. Although, most of these emotions are dark and depressing. Regardless, this collection of poetry will definitely make you sit down and ponder things!

Overall, I would recommend this to a fellow poetry-lover, but definitely not to someone who is not used to reading poetry for pleasure. The poems in Fancy Pants Volume 2 are either a hit-or-miss. Some of them you'll love, and others will most likely make you feel depressed.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
The book was well-written, interesting, and aesthetically enjoyable. Although, I did not love all of the poems in this collection.

Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like romymaria's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Fancy Pants Poetry Volume Two" by Agostino Scafidi
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Interesting. I enjoyed reading your review. I am actually into the "dark and strange" and have been looking into reading poetry again. I might check this one out.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

This book's title is pretty funny. I like it.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for your honest and insightful review. I'm not really into darker things, but this book does sound interesting. Of course, with a title like that you can't help being a little bit curious!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”