Review of Finding My Wings

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Lyons Den
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin

Re: Review of Finding My Wings

Post by Bertha Jackson »

An enjoyable book of poetry that covers many diverse topics has me intrigued. I have added it to my WTR list. Thank you for your informative review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Annabell Samuel »

This collection of poems will appeal to a wide range of readers. This is because the poems do not have a central theme but touches on many aspects of life. Kudos to the author for this.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Fugitiva
Bookshelf Size: 2422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: An Unlamented Death by Mary Adler
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This poetry collection addresses a variety of personal and societal issues, and this makes it a suitable read for a wide audience. I was most impacted by the poems under the section "What It Is to Persevere." These lines, "I have a new commitment / No longer insecure or timid of my being / I pull back from the edge of darkness / Reclaim the brightness of my light / Our union now cemented / I enjoy just being with me, especially brought me some fresh energy and gave me the courage to move on. I am grateful for that.
Isn't it amazing how some books arrive just at the moment you need them the most?
Several poetic devices were used in this book, and I do appreciate that they were gauged. This served me a delicious text devoid of unnecessary sophistication, as can be seen in the poem titled "Truth Stands." It was fascinating how "truth" was metaphorically used to express fortitude. The book's contribution to social justice and upholding noble causes is notable. It calls for massive action to "unring" such antihuman bells as gun violence, racial discrimination, victimization of women, suppression of free speech, and environmental degradation. The pictures inserted between the poems added to the book's appeal.
Those are meaningful subjects. And I also always appreciate getting rid of unnecessary flourishes in poetry.

What a powerful book! Thank you for your great review!
Pablo Josue Mendia
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

Thank you for the thoughtful and well-written review. It seems that Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's poetry collection, "Finding My Wings," navigates through themes of perseverance, love, and freedom with eloquence and emotional depth. Divided into three sections, each poem seems to resonate with evocative language, addressing personal evolution, loss, social injustice, and collective victory. The use of poetic devices, such as metaphor and imagery, seem to enrich the reading experience without overwhelming the text. Thanks for sharing that particularly impactful are the poems exploring perseverance, which instill a sense of empowerment and courage in the reader. The collection's commitment to social justice seems evident with calls for action against issues like gun violence and racial discrimination.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Finding My Wings by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez is a collection of poems with powerful themes and messages. The author highlights several societal issues like racial discrimination, environmental issues, gun violence, etc. I read a few of the poems and I must say the author made a deep impact. I don't read poems that often but the ones in this book are beautiful; I especially loved 'In Perfect Focus'. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Appealing to a wide audience, today's BOTD is a collection of poems that focuses on themes surrounding self-discovery, love, freedom, and social justice. Readers who enjoy thought-provoking poetry that's relevant to today's world will want to download this today. Thank you for the helpful review! :-)
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ajain12 »

"Finding My Wings" by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez offers impactful poetry addressing personal growth, social justice, and more. With adept use of poetic devices and a focus on relevant themes, it earns a five-star rating.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Nice review! I have to say, first and foremost that I love the cover art! Those colors alone are a blend of some of my favorites and they are gorgeous. While there are many things I could say about inspirational writing (especially poetry) on this subject matter, I will keep it short and to the point. Any message with the right heart (i.e love, perseverance, resiliency, empathy, equality, etc.) will always have a place in this world for someone who needs it. Hopefully, this book gives just that provision.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not a big fan of poetry. The meaning usually goes right over my head, but i am glad that people write these collections for those who do enjoy the genre. Congratulations on BOTD!
Byron Dsouza
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Alpha Buddies Land
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-byron-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Byron Dsouza »

"Finding My Wings" by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez is a book on poetry covering perseverance, love, and freedom. I enjoy poems with accompanying images that enhance their meaning. "Be bold enough to show the world exactly who you are, growing in your evolution and shining like a star." Love this motivational part of one poem. Congrats on BOTD!!
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's 'Finding My Wings' seems to brilliantly capture the essence of perseverance, love, and freedom through its varied poetic forms. The way the author handles complex themes like social injustice and personal growth, as highlighted in the review, is both intriguing and impactful. Particularly striking are the poems from the section 'What It Is to Persevere,' which seem to provide a powerful source of inspiration and courage. This collection appears not only to charm its readers with simplicity but also to challenge them to reflect deeply on pressing societal issues.
Rose Nafula Oketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Harmony, Florida - Living with Nature in a New Town by Anthony James Catanese, Ph.D., FAICP

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

I am a fan of novels that address societal issues. "Finding My Wings" with its beautiful collection of poems, seems to address societal issues very well. I also like the fact that it hasn't left out personal issues in life. Your analysis is great!
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: I'd Rather Be Dead Than Deaf by E. Adrienne Wilson

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I like poems like this that talk about inspiring life sayings. I would also like to read "What It Is To Persevere." I am mostly interested in the part that says "I enjoy just being with me."
PAUL KARANJA MAIMBA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by PAUL KARANJA MAIMBA »

Official Review: ‘Finding My Wings’ by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez.

Sandra Leon-Gonzalez ably exhibits her prowess in her ' Finding My Wings'. The call to humanity to persevere, live and love and be free is an eye opener to all. These values are embedded in her appeal to be free from the burden of injustices. She advocates collective responsibility to end inhumanity.

Imagery is used to call to an end the social injustices like oppression of women and others. The review helps to bring out the relevance of the topic, ‘Finding my Wings', by simplifying the author’s message of calling the masses to reclaim their human respect and freedom.

I unreservedly find the book quite relevant to social cohesiveness. I long to start reading it soonest. :techie-reference:
Miss Snehal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-snehal.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Miss Snehal »

Finding My Wings' by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez. The author highlights several societal issues like racial discrimination, environmental issues, gun violence, etc. I read a few of the poems and I must say the author made a deep impact. Congratulations for being the book of the day ☺️. #BOTD. Such a nice review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”