Official Review: The Most Popular Freak in School

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Official Review: The Most Popular Freak in School

Post by diamonnd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Most Popular Freak in School" by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Most Popular Freak in School, a book by Crystal Tyler, also known as Tyler Lormel, is a story about a young woman named Crystal celebrating her identity as a trans woman and fighting for LGBTQ acceptance at her high school. This story is a play on the classic Cinderella story and ends in a transformation of not just Crystal, but of all the main characters. Crystal’s light helps her fellow queer teens be more accepted and herself find love with her Prince Charming. It is a compelling read with all the ups and downs of both a coming-of-age story and a classic fairytale.

What I liked most about this book was the character development. All the main characters in this story have a fulfilling character arc and find redemption. It shows that everyone deserves a second chance, and people are not always what they seem to be on the surface. This book teaches people to look beneath the surface and to recognize that stereotypes can have harmful consequences. The development of the characters in this book made it an incredibly refreshing read, and I enjoyed seeing the relationships between the characters strengthen.

I also enjoyed the formatting of the book. It switches between a script, diary entries, and the author speaking directly. These different elements added a layer of complexity to the book and made the reading experience more enjoyable. There were also diary entries from different characters, which I loved. I liked seeing the story unfold from different perspectives and seeing how they each viewed a situation.

The only element of the book that I did not enjoy was the font. The font switched when the story switched between script and diary entry. I typically do not mind this in books as it helps make the diary entries more distinct, but the font that the author chose for the diary entries made it difficult to read. However, this is a more minor issue and is really the only issue I have with this book. This book appears to be well edited. I only noticed one grammatical error throughout the whole book.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an interesting story that had me continuously turning pages. I loved the familiar elements of a Cinderella story mixed with the unique features of Crystal’s coming-of-age story. I highly recommend this book to all readers, because I think it does a great job of celebrating friendship and highlighting the struggle of finding real acceptance.

The Most Popular Freak in School
View: on Bookshelves
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I am sure that this will be an interesting read. Being such a controversial topic, I must say you handled this review very well. Good job!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading coming-of-age novels. The plot of this book also sounds very interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

It's so rare to see well-written coming-of-age stories featuring transgender characters. Thank you for picking this book and writing such a great review about it!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This is a very strong concept and I think you have done justice to it by writing such a wonderful review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I'm so interested to read this thanks to your review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”