Official Review: And Man Made God In His Image

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: And Man Made God In His Image

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Man Made God In His Image" by David C Done.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Man Made God In His Image by David C Done is a non-fiction book written in verse. In this short book author questions Bible scripture and ancient myths that have formed the foundation of today’s views towards religious law. The author describes his concern for violence against gays in 25 poems. Done is trying to find sources of that violence that is immersed in our society. The juxtaposition of homosexuality and law is the key theme of this book.

I liked the title of this book. It sums up perfectly the idea behind this work. Even though I needed time to get into the book, in the end, poems were written very clearly. The author took the time and researched while writing these poems. This work challenged me to examine my knowledge of the Bible.

My main critique of this work is the author’s claim that violence and hate crime steems from the Bible. “So, I believe that the hate comes from several parts of the Bible.” I can’t accept the author’s reasoning. Don’t you think that people who harm will do it anyway and find any justification for it? Another thing is that the author in the introduction emphasized only Christians, but not Jewish people execute or persecute homosexual people. All monotheistic religions have complicated but somewhat the same opinion on that subject. Yes, I can agree that people will hide behind their beliefs. But to claim only Christians do that, it is not true.

I didn't find any grammatical errors, and it is fair to assume that this book was exceptionally well-edited. But I couldn't connect to the prose. The overall message was great, but I wish for more of a conclusion to the poems. For all those reasons and already mentioned critique of the book, I will rate this book with three out of four stars. I can't rate it any lower as the author's research of history is apparent, and I am sure many readers will find this work enjoyable. As I already stated, this book is edited professionally, so I think that rating is appropriate.

I would recommend this book to poetry readers. Also, any reader interested in LGBTQ issues throughout history might be interested in Done's take on it. However, Christians may be offended with certain parts of this book and the author's claims. Keep in mind that some poems contain explicit language. I wouldn't recommend this book to younger readers.

And Man Made God In His Image
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

The issue of hate and homosexuality is really a hard topic to understand in today's world. I tend to think the problem emanates from man's changing views on issues that were clearly understood long time ago. Thanks for your insightful review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The topic of hate and homosexuality is always a controversial one. I commend the author for tackling this subject matter. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I, too, love the title; it's very clever. And I admire anyone who can use poetry to discuss violence against gay men. A difficult form and a difficult topic. Thanks for a great review!
B00kN1nja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b00kn1nja.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by B00kN1nja »

I was intrigued by the title and curious what the book may be about. Your review cleared it up well for me. Thanks for the clearly expressed and helpful review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I think the author has done a wonderful job in bringing out all the elements together in this book. Thanks for the amazing review.
BookloverUSA+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BookloverUSA+ »

This is a book I want to read. Honestly intellectual questioning through rational means of already provided lecture , the Bible. And homosexuality is the subject that is analyzed in its mention and alliteration and possible , affect of alliteration on modern society..ie homophobia etc and misogyny
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Many Christians (and I suppose Jews as well) would agree that the title describes man perfectly. Indeed these are difficult topics to discuss today. Your honesty regarding certain assumptions made is much appreciated, thank you for your insightful review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Slater678 wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 10:51 The issue of hate and homosexuality is really a hard topic to understand in today's world. I tend to think the problem emanates from man's changing views on issues that were clearly understood long time ago. Thanks for your insightful review.
Yes, and it is definitely something that we as a society are talking more about. As we should. I guess the good thing is that book also brings those subject at front and centre.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Elvis Best wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 16:48 The topic of hate and homosexuality is always a controversial one. I commend the author for tackling this subject matter. Great review!
Absolutely agree. It is a hard topic. Thank you for reading!!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Juliet+1 wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 20:24 I, too, love the title; it's very clever. And I admire anyone who can use poetry to discuss violence against gay men. A difficult form and a difficult topic. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for reading!!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B00kN1nja wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 06:46 I was intrigued by the title and curious what the book may be about. Your review cleared it up well for me. Thanks for the clearly expressed and helpful review!
Glad I could help.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

BookloverUSA+ wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 03:38 This is a book I want to read. Honestly intellectual questioning through rational means of already provided lecture , the Bible. And homosexuality is the subject that is analyzed in its mention and alliteration and possible , affect of alliteration on modern society..ie homophobia etc and misogyny
I hope you like it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:23 I think the author has done a wonderful job in bringing out all the elements together in this book. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thank you for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

naomilupton_98 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 17:36 Many Christians (and I suppose Jews as well) would agree that the title describes man perfectly. Indeed these are difficult topics to discuss today. Your honesty regarding certain assumptions made is much appreciated, thank you for your insightful review!
Thank you for reading.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”