Official Review: Bully Bully Bang Bang by Corinne Whitaker

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Bully Bully Bang Bang by Corinne Whitaker

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bully Bully Bang Bang" by Corinne Whitaker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bully Bully Bang Bang is an artistic compilation of illustrations and poetic rhetoric by acclaimed artist Corinne Whitaker. As an award-winning art pioneer, she has over 42 years of creative career experience in the development of digital imaging and sculpting techniques. She utilizes a blend of bold language and eclectic interpretations to address many complex moral, sociopolitical issues.

By combining poetic passages of prose with digitally abstract art renderings, the author creates quite a memorable pairing pattern. Her unapologetic sense of self-expression brazenly paves a path of rule-breaking rebelliousness, and I find her unique approach refreshing. A great variety of themes are explored in this book, but all of them leave an indelible imprint on the psyche. Whitaker tackles bullying, barriers, boycotts, and bigotry—a wide range of issues not remotely blasé. Truth, power, and the wealthy elite lobotomize, ostracize, and mock the impoverished. Hypocrisy tries to silence the fighters, but truly audible voices cannot be ignored.

This book does seem to support a generalized theme of thrusting out injustice. It encourages readers to positively embrace all the misfits, southpaws, redheads, and outcasts—the discarded among us who feel woefully unclaimed. Through civic-minded collaboration and inequality education, humanity could empower a kindness that should spread en masse. I would readily describe this artistic compilation as an avant-garde exposé. It features many stimulating passages of interpretative prose: “ART COMPELS YOU TO TWITCH, TO ITCH… IN IMPOLITE PLACES.”

I thoroughly enjoyed the mixed myriad of featured art styles. Some digital illustrations feature neon hues, floral designs, and pixilated grids, while others include mirror images, abstract graffiti, and chaotically hypnotic psychedelic displays. Many of the multicolored collages feel reminiscent of the fictional supervillain Harley Quinn. There are mentions of Lin-Manuel Miranda, Matisse, Hitler, and Nietzsche, and a mixed-DNA prejudice is readily explored. Readers will also come across some hip, modern-day slang terms like “dough” and “lettuce.”

I reviewed this publication in its printed, paperback version. All 89 pages of content feature an attractive, glossy black sheen. I appreciate the inclusion of such a visually tactile aspect; it gives the material an undeniably chic backdrop. Each succinctly poetic passage of white text is then immediately followed by an accompanying digital illustration. I did encounter a few small errors, but this book appears to have been professionally edited. There was nothing I disliked. There is no presence of profanity or sexual content, and none of the illustrations depict mature themes that would be inappropriate for younger audiences.

I feel this book would be appropriate for any reader who appreciates radical forms of artistic innovation. I would recommend it to pop culture art aficionados, fans of spoken poetry, and all appreciators of cultural iconography. The meaningful imagery within these pages evokes a vivacious sense of self-actualization. Many of the messages will resonate strongly with anyone who has ever felt unfairly categorized or dismissed because of their skin color.

I award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is visually and conceptually mesmerizing; it triggers numerous, thought-provoking moments of reflection. Whitaker is also known as “the Digital Giraffe,” and her artwork has appeared in 80 solo shows and 260 group exhibitions worldwide. This is her 31st book of digital paintings and poetry.

Bully Bully Bang Bang
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

It's always interesting and uplifting to read about the triumph of justice. Thanks for your review. I have high hopes for the artistic nature of the book, and look forward to reading it.
Fabian
AvidBibliophile

FABIAN_BATS wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 06:55 It's always interesting and uplifting to read about the triumph of justice. Thanks for your review. I have high hopes for the artistic nature of the book, and look forward to reading it.
Thank you so much. An artistic compilation it certainly is! Many themes are explored in this one.
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

Excellent review may I say! I like how the author touches on so many people of “different backgrounds” as we all are important and deserve to be recognized. The description of her style of writing with the colors and illustrations sounds amazing and I bet actually having the book in your hands made it all the better as well!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 12:14 Excellent review may I say! I like how the author touches on so many people of “different backgrounds” as we all are important and deserve to be recognized. The description of her style of writing with the colors and illustrations sounds amazing and I bet actually having the book in your hands made it all the better as well!
Thank you so much for the kind words of feedback! This author definitely has a talented knack for combining moving passages of prose with impactful digital illustrations. It was a multicultural, eye-opening journey through the pages. Loved getting to see and appreciate this publication in a physical format. :heart:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Although the book surrounds a general thrusting out injustice theme, I love how you mentioned more diverse themes represented here as well. Your review writing was very descriptive and informative for me, so thank you for such a great work! :)
AvidBibliophile

SamaylaM wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 22:19 Although the book surrounds a general thrusting out injustice theme, I love how you mentioned more diverse themes represented here as well. Your review writing was very descriptive and informative for me, so thank you for such a great work! :)
I greatly appreciate your positive feedback and interest in this one! It truly was a beautiful journey through the paired duality of poetry and art; this author has a talent for creating some visually stimulating things.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

After 30 books of digital paintings and poetry, it sounds like the author still has plenty of fresh offerings. This eclectic blend of art and topics would be perfect to experience in printed form.
Thanks for your beautifully crafted take on this book.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile

MsH2k wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 00:40 After 30 books of digital paintings and poetry, it sounds like the author still has plenty of fresh offerings. This eclectic blend of art and topics would be perfect to experience in printed form.
Thanks for your beautifully crafted take on this book.
I thought the same thing! She must truly have a fountain of eternal creativity to tap from because nothing was remotely redundant, and all of the material seemed fresh and progressive and engaging! Thanks for the sweet words.
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

Good to know that the author is a stylish and artistic poet. The book seems to reveal the author’s level of creativity. Thanks for sharing.
AvidBibliophile

Rashida10 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 10:36 Good to know that the author is a stylish and artistic poet. The book seems to reveal the author’s level of creativity. Thanks for sharing.
Most definitely; she is a creative trailblazer in every sense! Flipping through her art book was like going on an unforgettable journey. Thank you!
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

First of all, what an interesting title!
Secondly, the author has chosen such a strong theme - thrusting out injustice. To top it off, depicting this through abstract art and prose. Very rarely do you come across books that make you wonder how an artist could possibly be that creative? I am definitely adding this on my list. Thanks for recommending.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very unique read about modern art and poetry :) I would love to check this one out! Thank you for a great review!
AvidBibliophile

Divergent_2020 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 04:35 First of all, what an interesting title!
Secondly, the author has chosen such a strong theme - thrusting out injustice. To top it off, depicting this through abstract art and prose. Very rarely do you come across books that make you wonder how an artist could possibly be that creative? I am definitely adding this on my list. Thanks for recommending.
Isn’t it such a catchy title AND book cover?! Visually and phonetically appealing both inside and out. So many bold themes have been creatively explored and illustrated in this one; each and every one fresh and relevant. A true treat for the artistic soul! Thanks immensely for coming by and commenting.
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 06:18 Sounds like a very unique read about modern art and poetry :) I would love to check this one out! Thank you for a great review!
Modern, contemporary, abstract, surrealism... they’re all present here! Immensely unique and weirdly wonderful—Whitaker is a truly talented artist of both digital renderings and the spoken word. Thank you :)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”