Official Review: A Poetic Journey To Love

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
[jade]
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade.html
Latest Review: A Poetic Journey To Love by Everett Callaway

Official Review: A Poetic Journey To Love

Post by [jade] »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Poetic Journey To Love" by Everett Callaway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some believe in soulmates. Others do not believe in true love at all. Many of us fall in between these two extremes. In Everett Callaway’s A Poetic Journey To Love, the author illustrates the stages of love one goes through, from budding feelings and fiery passion to the reality and struggles of marriage. Through whatever phase we are in, this book guides us through the often confusing, wild emotions and turbulent trials that we encounter in our lifetime. As human beings are social creatures and inclined to build deep relationships, this collection of poems show that love is inevitable, presenting the reality of love through a logical perspective in the often illogical world of love.

I enjoyed the smooth flow and rhythm of the poems. The rhyme scheme present in the poems are satisfyingly well-written, making for a marvelous read. I appreciated the many analogies that are embedded in the poems that help the reader grasp deeper meanings. The poems were not only easy to read and understand, but also included the author’s short explanations and remarks at the end of each poem. The book, as a whole, is a delightful read that inspires one to strive forth on their own path in love.

In addition, I appreciate how the poems not only focus on the rosy side of love but also touches on the trials and tribulation that come with romance. The varieties of love that are displayed bring enlightenment on the many different forms of love, such as the amicable love of friendship, the loving devotion of religion, and romantic love between partners. Love is not just a happy ever after; it is comprised of the chase, heartbreak, mistakes, companionship, and all the shades in between.

A relatively minor issue that irked me was the slightly tacky formatting of the poems. The calligraphy font that is chosen for the poems is overused and lacks the sophistication and tastefulness that should be present. Furthermore, there were floral borders that often framed pages that contained poems, which ages the book as a whole and distracts from the main substance of the work. Aside from the formatting, the poems were well-edited and I noticed few writing and grammar errors.

A Poetic Journey To Love was a well-written, nuanced piece of work. I would suggest this book to adult readers who are interested in reading poems, particularly on the topic of love. Because the book frequently mentions Christianity, I recommend this especially to those who are of the Christian faith. While I am not religious, I still enjoyed the book immensely. All in all, the poems flow well and tell the whole story about love. Thus, I rate this book a four out of four.

A Poetic Journey To Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Great review! I like the fact that this poetry book deals with love through different phases.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

The first few sentences of your review caught my attention. Great review. I will definitely try this.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Love and poetry together are interesting and impressive and attractive. Thanks for your review.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

You have written a great review.
The book seems to be full of loving poems.
I will definitely read this book.
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AnnieOgoo »

This sounds like a lovely book. Love is really a complex thing, and it costs a lot of emotions. I appreciate simple poetry, and I like this subject matter, so I'll be checking this book out.
This is an equally lovely review; I enjoyed reading it.
Live and let live, baby. :wink:
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I plan to read this book. I am glad that the author also depicts that love is not a bed of roses. Good review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”