Official Review: Tears of Joy and Tears of Sorrow

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Official Review: Tears of Joy and Tears of Sorrow

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tears of Joy and Tears of Sorrow" by Arjomand Kalayeh.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I find poetry to be a literary genre that can intensely stir emotions. I also think that poetry is abstract in its own way. Reading and immersing yourself in poetry is certainly a unique experience for each individual reader. Tears of Joy and Tears of Sorrow by Arjomand Kalayeh is a book of poetry in which the author reveals his thoughts, pains, and feelings in a very emotional and intimate way.

This book is divided into 6 chapters. In each chapter, the author writes poems on a different topic. This is non-fiction poetry because in these poems the author describes his personal emotions to the reader. The poems from each chapter reflect the author’s different life journey. He mainly writes about love, death, sadness, happiness, and hope.

What I like most about the book is the author’s constant emphasis on the importance of living in the present moment. I think this is very important in today’s hectic life. The author has also managed to reach my emotions on several occasions. These emotions were greatly evoked by reading poems about illness and loss. The author himself suffers from pancreatic cancer, and reading this book one can notice his suffering, pain, and even trauma.

What I like least about the book is the form of most of the poems. These poems consist of verses composed of only one word. This gives the impression that the enter key has been constantly unnecessarily pressed. Likewise, the same motifs, metaphors, and comparisons were repeated in different poems. The same verses were repeated in certain poems as well. I think some poems could have been written much more skillfully. Most metaphorical comparisons seemed too simplistic, clichéd, and unimaginative. I also did not like the author’s relativization of books on religion and philosophy. I do not think he should have belittled any literature or other people’s beliefs.

I decided to give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Although there are some poems that I like, most of them are vague, illogical, and confusing. The basic problem I see in this book is the constant repetition of the same words and verses. This ultimately made the book monotonous. The book also has some poems that I have personally experienced emotionally. I was also able to identify with the author a couple of times. I would recommend this book primarily to poetry lovers and people going through difficult times. Although I encountered several grammatical errors, they did not affect my reading.

Tears of Joy and Tears of Sorrow
View: on Bookshelves
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

For me, poetry can also be a source of emotional relaxation. It calms my mind and flows with my thoughts each time I read through them. Great job.
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

Oh, it seems to be one of the books that I must read. I like to judge a book by myself, no matter what people say about it. Those poems about life experiences will remind me of my own life and its sorrow. I'll read this book while doom metal vibes playing in my whole body.
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope
Chelia27
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Chelia27 »

Poetry has a way of expressing emotions in the most simplest yet complex ways. It helps ease the mind of it's worries and thoughts by putting it down on paper. I'll definitely read this book, it seems like an interesting read.
amiee gold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiee-gold.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by amiee gold »

This would be an emotional read, because it showcases the life of the poet. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”