Official Review: Yearning Words by Antonios Samoladas

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Official Review: Yearning Words by Antonios Samoladas

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yearning Words" by Antonios Samoladas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love, passion, infatuation, and pain are some of the most common motifs in books. Books with such motifs can often be interpreted in different ways. The reading experience often depends on the mood and emotional state of the reader. Yearning Words by Antonios Samoladas is a collection of poetry in which the author describes his feelings towards his loved one in a very intimate way.

This book consists of poems that vividly depict the author's deep and strong emotions towards the beloved woman. In this book, the author addresses the mysterious woman directly. He declares his love to her through every verse of every poem. Likewise, he recalls their common moments and describes them mostly metaphorically. He is no longer with her and suffers because of it. In addition, he also describes the tragedy and consequences of falling in love and reveals why true love is important.

In this book, I really like the way the author uses comparisons and metaphors. He mainly uses motifs from nature to create a romantic and surreal atmosphere. I really like that erotic themes are skillfully and discreetly described. All the intimate scenes are subtle and lyrically presented. Likewise, no verse seems superfluous. Each verse very well depicts the author’s suffering and longing. I also really like the visual structure of the poems. All the poems are relatively the same length. They are neither too long nor too short and mostly take up one page each.

The main thing I do not like about these poems is the fact that the author uses certain motifs constantly. These are mostly natural motifs like wind, rain, and sunset. Although they depict the desired atmosphere well, I think the author should have used other equally appealing and symbolic motifs to a greater extent.

All things considered, I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The main reason for my lower rating is the already mentioned repetition of the same motives. I would also have preferred the book to have a prologue or epilogue. It seems somehow unfinished without a prologue or some concluding message from the author. I would recommend this collection of poems to anyone who likes to read love-themed books. I would also recommend it to all poetry lovers who love the lyrical and atmospheric style of writing. I did not encounter any grammatical errors. There is erotic content in the book, but it is very subtly described.

Yearning Words
View: on Bookshelves
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I love the way you started your review, grabbing my attention from the get go. Great work!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I am not very fond of poetry. But your review made me want to give this book a try. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I enjoyed your review and will have to give this a look. Thanks!
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Your review is well put together. The cover page is interesting and left me wondering, what does it depict?
TanyaradzwaP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TanyaradzwaP »

Your review is breath taking. I can't wait to dive in that wouñderful book

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”