Official Review: Deep Focus by Judith Oppenheimer Loth

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Deep Focus by Judith Oppenheimer Loth

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deep Focus" by Judith Oppenheimer Loth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deep Focus by Judith Oppenheimer Loth is a collection of poems that cover a variety of themes: from love to childhood and from illness to art. In the first part of the book, the author explores feelings of abandonment and betrayal, the ambivalence of grieving the death of an old lover, and the assonances between the four seasons and human emotions. The latter part of the book contains poems about nine classic painters admired by the author. A few writings distance themselves from the main themes, such as poems about the Amish and Egyptian and Greek architecture.

Reading this collection of poems was absolutely delightful. Judith Oppenheimer Loth assembles the words in a sharp and yet delicate manner. The array of topics she covers in this collection is wide, but each of them is explored with depth and passion. While reading, I felt as if the poems were windows into the author’s most intimate thoughts and experiences. Even the poems about art uncover an almost personal relationship between the author and the artists as she beautifully puts into verses their works and lives. She writes that Rembrandt “saw humankind’s deep, warm worth” and that she wishes to “embrace and thank” Vermeer.

My favorite poem is “Another Thing They Never Told Us.” The author reflects on what it means to age as a woman. While men can always rely on a woman’s support regardless of their age, growing older causes women to lose the charm of their youthful appearance in the eyes of society. Men stop calling them, they become “the friend taken for granted” and, in a way, they lose their power. The author expresses regret over not being informed that growing old would bring about these experiences for her:
“They did not tell me that I should
plan ahead so that I would not feel threatened,
should exercise my body and my mind, so that
the winter that lay ahead be not curse but crown.”
As a young woman, I read this poem as a powerful reminder to focus on my own growth and practice appreciating myself regardless of the value that society and men place on my youth and appearance.

There is absolutely no element of this collection of poems that I disliked. Each poem is vibrant and captivating, always sparking reflection and soul searching. The book is error-free and professionally edited, offering a perfect reading experience for poetry lovers.

Deep Focus by Judith Oppenheimer Loth deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The poems are like unique pearls that have been beautifully assembled into a necklace. I know I will be coming back to this collection to immerse myself in my favorite poems. I warmly recommend this book to readers who enjoy vibrant and deep poetry.

Deep Focus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Clarissa05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clarissa05.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Clarissa05 »

Great review. I totally agree with the part when you mentioned "the friend taken for granted."
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

I don't really read poems because I find them a little difficult to comprehend at times. But this looks quite the opposite. It's refreshing and judging from your review, it will be worth the time.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I love reading poems. They give me a kind of joy that I can't find by reading prose. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Poetry is a state of mind, so I am glad for your recommendation. I might give the book a try, when it feels right. Thank you for this inspiring review!
zodiumboy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zodiumboy »

This a great book with a deep meaning but simple understanding
energyking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by energyking »

I'm not a poetry lover, compared to drama or prose. But your review has made me want to read this book... and I just might!
Thank you for your recommendation.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I do not often read poetry but you wrote an excellent review that caught my interest. The diversity of topics and your description of the poems as "unique pearls" makes me want to read it for myself. Thanks for your review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I do not often read poetry but you wrote an excellent review that caught my interest. The diversity of topics and your description of the poems as "unique pearls" makes me want to read it for myself. Thanks for your review. :techie-reference:
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

Another thing they never told us was that adult life is more complicated.
Great author
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Well, this one seems like a must read. A poem speaks so much in very few words - and in a beautiful way. Thanks for such an insightful review 👏
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I am not much into poetry, but that poem you mentioned sounds truthful enough. Our society and culture pays too much attention to youthful appearance and such things. Thanks for an interesting review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”