Official Review: What They Bring by Willis

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: Official Review: What They Bring by Willis

Post by MsH2k »

Etienneza wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 18:29 Perhaps not all wisdom appears of value to us at the same juncture, a book and a poem has a season , when it will transport enrich and confront. I am excited about the anthology!
Yes, timing is important for an interaction to be appreciated. Thank you for your comment. Enjoy the anthology!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I don’t usually care much about poetry, but the topic definitely makes this book interesting. Coming from a multicultural family, I have seen many related things happening in real life. If this book brings more understanding to both sides, then it is worth reading.

Thanks for a very insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

This genre is new to me and I'm not sure I'll quite enjoy it. I might give it a try. Thank you for the thorough and detailed review!
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:49 I don’t usually care much about poetry, but the topic definitely makes this book interesting. Coming from a multicultural family, I have seen many related things happening in real life. If this book brings more understanding to both sides, then it is worth reading.

Thanks for a very insightful review!
One of the things I love about this anthology is you have an opportunity to come face-to-face with different backgrounds and experiences. It is a worthwhile exercise to stop and see a snapshot of what they have experienced.

Thank you for stopping by, Kirsi_78! I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Naaya123 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:14 This genre is new to me and I'm not sure I'll quite enjoy it. I might give it a try. Thank you for the thorough and detailed review!
I hope you give it a try! I’m no poetry expert, but I seem to be reading a lot more of it lately. I may not connect with some of the poems, but there’s nothing like finding one that touches me to the core.
Thank you for your comment!
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I like reading poems but I've never gotten around to reading a whole bunch of poems at once. I do think it's hard to like everything, especially since everybody's taste is different. You made me curious though. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

RayRuff wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 02:33 I like reading poems but I've never gotten around to reading a whole bunch of poems at once. I do think it's hard to like everything, especially since everybody's taste is different. You made me curious though. Thank you for your review.
Most of the poems were short, but they are not meant to breeze through. I definitely paced myself. You’re right about not liking everything—it’s depth of connection versus quantity.
Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I love that the subject of the poems is a unique one. It is the first time I am encountering poems on migration and immigration. Thanks for an amazing review.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It sounds like this book of poetry offered quite an impactful experience. We should all set aside some time to take an empathetic look at immigration and racial division. Thank you for sharing such an insightful and informative review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 15:05 I love that the subject of the poems is a unique one. It is the first time I am encountering poems on migration and immigration. Thanks for an amazing review.
I am in awe of the collection that Willis and Haba put together. It was an amazing experience. Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 21:36 It sounds like this book of poetry offered quite an impactful experience. We should all set aside some time to take an empathetic look at immigration and racial division. Thank you for sharing such an insightful and informative review.
I expected the differences between their experiences and mine, but I was amazed to discover some similarities even though we have different backgrounds. Finding common ground is a treasure. :gem:
Thank you for your visit and your comment, my friend. It’s always good to see you.
Rosa Parks
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

MsH2k wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 01:07
Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 15:05 I love that the subject of the poems is a unique one. It is the first time I am encountering poems on migration and immigration. Thanks for an amazing review.
I am in awe of the collection that Willis and Haba put together. It was an amazing experience. Thank you for your visit and your comment.

You are welcome. I did enjoy the review.
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

I liked the book's cover but didn't find it interesting because poems don't impact everyone and not everyone will be interested to read it and a person can get bored reading it
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Arpita Choudhari wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 01:10 I liked the book's cover but didn't find it interesting because poems don't impact everyone and not everyone will be interested to read it and a person can get bored reading it
The cover also attracted me to this collection. And you’re right—poetry is not for everyone. If I find just a few poems that I connect with deeply, I consider it a success.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”