Official Review: The Beacon a collection of poems by

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: The Beacon a collection of poems by

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Beacon a collection of poems by" by Emerson Custis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Beacon – A Collection of Poems by Emerson Custis is a fabulously written book loaded with poems that can expand a reader’s horizons and the way one understands life. The poems provide a means of reflection and meditation about life. I had difficulty choosing a favorite poem as the themes, messages, and effect they had on me were varied.

The poem ‘Faith (Security)’ was short, deep, topical, and laden with meaning. I felt it was extremely relevant to today’s global security and health challenges. The pandemic and economic recession have caused so much uncertainty in our world today that faith is a crucial ingredient for staying sane and keeping depression at bay. ‘Meeting God’ offers an exciting insight into the concepts of reincarnation and times or periods. The takeaway message from that poem was that we are all one and should treat one another with kindness and consideration.

The poem “War, What Apathy’ echoes my feelings and beliefs about the destruction that war brings. It reminded me of how easy it is to destroy by acts of war, structures, and systems that took decades to build. The needless loss of human lives in wars has never made sense to me. I liked this profound statement in lines 11- 13 of the poem ‘War, What Apathy:’ “The world is for all mankind, and no man, and no leader, and no government has a God-given right to send any man to his death.”

The poem ‘Inspired’ will be enjoyed by those grieving the loss of people they hold dear. With so much loss in our world today, this poem brings succor. Another favorite of mine was ‘I Loved You to Begin.’ It comes across as a verbal interchange between man and God – something I think many people would have done at one time or the other.

The book contains a delightful combination of free-verse and rhyming poems and makes an interesting read. They made me stop and ponder about life. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was an easy and interesting read. There was nothing to dislike about this book, and it will make a useful addition to family and school libraries. I think the target audience is mostly young adults. Still, mature teenagers could enjoy reading them and pondering about the themes explored. Another round of professional editing would have eliminated the few errors I found in the book. I recommend this book to anyone desirous of a deeper reflection on life.

The Beacon a collection of poems by
View: on Bookshelves
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Thank you for a review that paints a clear picture of the anthology's wisdom. Every poem delivers a unique message to the reader and often leaves different impressions at alternate times. Current context alters the poem's significance and the significance of a moment multiplied, alters life itself, perhaps?

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”