Official Review: But God by Tinika L Cudjoe

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: But God by Tinika L Cudjoe

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But God" by Tinika L Cudjoe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"But God" A Book of Poetry by Tinika Cudjoe is a chapbook that artistically explores her thoughts, feelings, and reactions to worldly issues. Her independence is clear in how she has written about the issues that, mostly, affect women, while others can resonate with men as well.

Cudjoe freely looks at the concept of peace and its ultimate attainment. She questions the practicability of contentment and examines to what extent it stretches. She also foregrounds rape, especially when it is perpetrated by family members and even highlights how flawed the justice system is at dealing with rape cases. Moreover, the author interrogates her relationship with God and the subsequent relationship between death and salvation.

There are a lot of positive things to note about this book. First, its simple writing style is so enriching. The author said so much without unnecessarily being wordy. Her economy of words is skillfully done, where she allows a reader to explore the thoughts suggested by making mental notes and, in so doing, the reader takes part in the recitation of the poems. I also loved her use of rhetorical questions; more than any other stylistic device used in this book, the rhetorical questions completed Cudjoe’s ideas without literary directing the reader on which line of thought they should take.

The author has written her poems from the first-person point of view. I, therefore, enjoyed denoting meanings from her viewpoint. This allowed me to empathize with her fears, worries and even made me agree with her on some topics, for example, the fact that some mothers are unprepared for postpartum lifestyles and may even resort to extreme measures like abortion or subsequent hatred for their babies.

The author’s skillful manipulation of ellipsis is equally commendable. I rarely like books whose authors force me to think along a certain line of thought. However, Cudjoe’s broken lines in some stanzas enabled me to explore various paths and trails of thoughts. Her incredible use of ellipsis invited me to engage her and interrogate her perspectives and principles of life.

There is absolutely nothing that I liked least about this book. I did not find any typos as it is professionally edited. I rate it four out of four stars and recommend it to lovers of poetry. The liberal religious viewpoint will also ensure that readers across all denominations and religions can enjoy this book with no inhibitions, whatsoever. However, those who find sensitive topics such as abortion and rape unbearable may not enjoy it.

But God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

This poetry book seems suitable for me. I equally appreciate the book's author with you for the simplicity. One big feature I cherish most is the simplicity with which the author is able pass his/her information.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I’m not a poetry girl. But what I do like is the content- just not sure I would like
The full story . Review was enjoyable though
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

At one point or the other we have asked questions that boarder on our relationship with God. I'm also a big fan of poetry. Great review.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Challenging topics are covered. The author creates space to mull over the subject matter and form opinions and perceptions .No two people will interpret the book in the same way.
Ibezim Joseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ibezim Joseph »

From the review I can connect with the authors view. Though the the Cudjor is not trying to make the readers question God but putting some rhetorical question for the readers to answer. Nice review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”