Official Review: Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited" by Sandra Leon Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited by Sandra Leon Gonzalez is a collection of poetry about themes such as power, survival, feminism, and beauty. The writer's tone is empowering, inspirational, and confident, while the poems also contain some of the author's personal memories.

The writer begins by describing the beauty of a person, focusing on facial characteristics like the lips and the smile. She continues by talking about betrayal and the pain caused by a person who blew her trust to pieces, as she ignored the inner voice that told her not to trust his motives. Next, the author criticizes racism and prejudice by explaining that all people bleed red under their skin. The writer also regrets making her child feel entitled and not allowing her child to learn to endure hardships and handle stress. Furthermore, the poet deals with the themes of faith and friendship, as faith supports a person in dark times. She also shares a joyous poem about the happy prospect of a new day since each new dawn is a new beginning.

I liked many of this book’s characteristics. To begin with, the poems were very original, as the poet wrote in a very creative and unique way by indirectly sharing her experiences through the poems, thereby creating a personal bond with the reader. Moreover, the poems were exceptionally edited since I did not locate any grammatical mistakes in the text. Additionally, some of the poems contained rhyme and various linguistic devices, such as metaphors, which added excitement and liveliness to the book. What I liked most about this book was that the author attached a picture along with each poem. Most of the pictures were hand-drawn, which added a sense of artistic beauty to the text.

What I disliked most about the poems was that they were often too abstract and confusing. The author should have structured the book in a more logical and rational way in order to help readers understand her poetry more easily.

This book is best suited for readers who like poetry about abstract themes like beauty, womanhood, and happiness. Female readers will likely prefer this book, as the author mainly writes from a woman’s perspective. Both atheists and religious readers can appreciate this book.

All in all, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I removed a star from the rating because the poems seemed too abstract to me. Nevertheless, I could justify a lower score for this book since it was exceptionally edited, creatively compiled, and aesthetically illustrated.

Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Poetry has always been and remains my favourite genre. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”