Official Review: Waiting on the Monsoons for His Desert S...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Official Review: Waiting on the Monsoons for His Desert S...

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waiting on the Monsoons for His Desert Soul" by RedWulf DancingBare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waiting on the Monsoons for His Desert Soul by RedWulf DancingBare is a collection of poems that focus on the author’s life happenings that he seized overtime. During his time, as he emphasizes, living as a gay man was rather challenging. The poems instill hope in people who feel as if the world is crumbling on them. I’d not recommend this publication to anyone with the slightest shred of homophobia in them. The theme of love is widely promoted in this book.

The author has compiled these poems in verses that vary in lengths, tone, and themes. He shares the contrast of human behavior and sexuality of his generation and the current one. While respecting people’s ideas and voices, he demonstrates how kind words can make a difference in people’s lives. I specifically loved the “Among the Sacred Sun Drops” narrative. It entirely resonated with me and left me in deep sobs. These empowering poems will soothe the souls of people undergoing different predicaments in life.

There are a few aspects to appreciate about this installment. To begin with, the poems are numerous and can be read as stand-alone stories. While they advocate for distinct themes, they all offer comforting words to people who might have experienced the dark side of life. Growing up as a closeted gay man, Redwulf shares the many agonies he underwent while searching for a better life. While exhibiting his love through this work, the author employed humor from time to time that left me smiling as the poems progressed. Most importantly, some verses frequently left me in suspense and others in emotions, often wondering what happened next.

I have to admit that the language employed at some point went over my head. Words like ‘bombastic harangue’ among many others had me seeking their meanings from secondary sources. Consequently, I was often distracted from the seemingly deep message portrayed in this installment. That is the unique aspect I disdained about the book.

While devouring this volume, I did not detect any grammatical errors. It is the most ideal book for a weekend, during a lockdown, or for people who had the misfortune of losing their job or loved ones. There were no erotic scenes employed. However, there were mild profanities used to portray the agonies that the author endured while growing up as a gay man. While I rigorously enjoyed the book, the increased vocabulary often caused distractions. As a result, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers going through some rough patches in life and would appreciate some encouragement.

Waiting on the Monsoons for His Desert Soul
View: on Bookshelves
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

Seems like a peculiar and original book of poems, it might be actually interesting to explore. Thanks for the detailed review!
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

Sakura5 wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 13:52 Seems like a peculiar and original book of poems, it might be actually interesting to explore. Thanks for the detailed review!
That was my thought as well. If the book can bring hope after a long messed up day, then it is worth a trial.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

People are suffering from conditions they may not be willing to share. This book sounds like the right place to run to when things seem too tough.
Your review is professionally written, and admirable.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”