Official Review: In the Land of Myth by Bernard Kuckuck

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: In the Land of Myth by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Land of Myth" by Bernard Kuckuck.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In In the Land of Myth: Orphean Sonnets, Bernard Kuckuck employs engrossing poetry to transport the reader to the classical age. The minstrel Orpheus is gifted with superhuman musical ability. He can enchant all living things and cause stones to dance merrily to his melodious tunes with his lyre. Orpheus has to rescue his love, Eurydice. In this fascinating world, the sirens also whisper charming tunes luring sailors to their deaths. Orpheus’s extraordinary adventures are nonlinear, which results in alternating moods, undoubtedly making the reading experience more thrilling. Apart from the celebration of Orpheus’s heroism and musical and poetic prowess, other topics such as love and the divine mysteries of life and death are addressed.

One of the questions that came up after reading the introduction was whether the book would stir up the ancient awe and reverence where poets were perceived as teachers and holy people. Fortunately, the author surpassed this expectation. The delightful poems did not merely describe natural phenomena but revealed the classic mythologies behind them captivatingly. One sees the active role of Persephone and Demeter when enjoying the vernal bloom. Accordingly, the perfect balance of contradictory powers in nature, especially Eros and Thanatos, is evident throughout the poems.

The use of ancient Greek terms sent me to the dictionary repeatedly, but this is how I got to understand more and better. With every search, my level of enlightenment progressively increased, and so did the passionate hunger to learn more, drawing me deeper into the ancient Greek world. However, including a glossary of terms would have helped to make comprehending some parts easy. In the book’s present state, readers have to search the meaning of some words on the internet, especially those not included in the inbuilt dictionaries.

The mood in every poem varied greatly, leading to an emotional roller coaster. The abrupt transition from an optimistic to pessimistic or cheerful to gloomy mood seemed to accurately communicate the normal fluctuations in life. As a result, this is what I liked most about the book. Besides, the rhyme was immensely appealing as it did not appear forced. Apart from the failure to include a glossary of terms, every aspect of the book was perfect.

In the Land of Myth: Orphean Sonnets was published by Tellwell Talent. It is only 228 pages long but takes one on an exciting, memorable journey. It is an easy escape to the other world where imagination is allowed to run wild. From observing the waves on the Aegean seashore to listening to the murmurs of the trees, every scene is painted perfectly to invite a corresponding mood. The book was exceptionally well-edited as I discovered only one minor error.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend it to all ardent readers of classical literature. Every devoted fan of Greek mythology will also fancy reading it. Some poems were written in other languages like French, Spanish, Italian, and German, but their English translations succeeded them.

In the Land of Myth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

In an elegant manner you've described this book and it makes me want to read it. The ability to make all living thing dance is truly a superpower.
Wonderful review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 05:10 In an elegant manner you've described this book and it makes me want to read it. The ability to make all living thing dance is truly a superpower.
Wonderful review!
Thanks for the wonderful comment.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Maria 29
Currently Reading: Words from above
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-29.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Maria 29 »

I am in love with mythology, so this review caught my attention and I don't regret it! Awesome work, thank you for the review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I'm intrigued by your description of this book. Thank you for such an insightful review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love the idea of explaining g this through poems and using Ancient Greek terms. I’m sure I’ll have to sit with the dictionary next to me too. Thanks for the great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Your review is quite detailed. The book seems to be well done. The aspect of the many Greek terms is discouraging for me, however. Thank you for a lovely review!
ravensrook
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ravensrook »

Interesting! Poetry usually isn't my thing, but the classical mythology and your description of the book does interest me.
Richard Onyebuwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Richard Onyebuwa »

Greek mythology mixed with classic music and scenes and a sprinkle of fantasy and thrills makes this book a lot more exciting to read. I also love the way the review puts it, nice.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am sure this would be a challenging, yet enriching, read. I only hope it won't be Greek to me!
Simon Evans
Currently Reading: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Simon Evans »

:D 8) this review has nailed it completely, it's very realistic, i find a phrase that stir up my mind '' ancient awe and reverence where poets were perceived as teachers and holy people.''
Fortunately, the author surpassed this expectation. The delightful poems did not merely describe natural phenomena but revealed the classic mythologies behind them captivatingly. :) :D
:?: :!: :drool: :techie-studyingbrown: :) :D :shhh:
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

I’m a fan of Greek mythology! It interests me even more that there are other languages in this book as well, and since my first language isn’t English I have to google words or translate a lot anyway. I don’t think those things will discourage me at all. Thanks for a good review.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I really well written review with great point to note for the story. I always wanted to read a classic mythology book and I guess I'll start off with this one. Thanks.
Zelda Boshoff
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelda-boshoff.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelda Boshoff »

The poems were quite interesting to read, a bit dark at times, an essential part of the classical age. If I decide to read the book, I'll have to carry my dictionary with me.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I don't think classical literature poetry could be described any better. Though I am not a big fan of ancient stuff like Greek mythology, your colourful review is a magnet. I am also fascinated by the character with superhuman musical ability, that he can charm stones into dancing. Thank you for your great review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”