Official Review: Please, keep writing

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Please, keep writing

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Please, keep writing" by Rico Morales / Atlantis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Please, keep writing by Rico Morales / Atlantis is an intensely expressive book that contains a collection of emotional and profound poems. The author likens himself to the lost city of Atlantis, where waves of tsunami came crashing down, flooding him with a sea of chaos, heartbreak, and depression. Just like the city, he faced earthquakes, which molded and awakened him to a state of enlightenment and wisdom. The poems reflect these changes and depict dysfunctional love, physically and emotionally abusive relationships, and the hope of finding true love and a soul mate. In one of the poems, Atlantis draws similarities between the afterlife and a breakup, in that when a person leaves, you are aware of their presence but cannot get physical access to them.

The poems further highlight issues to do with beauty, vanity, social media love, and the need for public approval over everything. The author challenges one to differentiate between a love that lasts forever and a love that is all about posting, sharing, and deleting after. Is it about emotions or emojis, texting or talking, or is it about showing your love off to the world or posting it for the likes? The poems also demonstrate hope, inspiration, and bliss through self-care. They highlight the importance of pain, overcoming it soberly and constructively, and being proud of the growth that results.

Atlantis creatively uses similes and metaphors, like when comparing his wait for a soul mate to the Excalibur sword, which will be pulled out of the stone by only the worthy and sincere one. The poems have short sentences with rhyming words, deliberate repetition, and rhetorical questions that prompt one to reflect upon their lives. There is also some sad humor in the poems, where you chuckle but still see the weight of the words. For instance, the poet compares his need for his love to a smoker needing nicotine, ‘I need you but, you're no good for me.’ The deliberate wordplay is also another pleasing aspect of the poems and another way to deliver the message. For instance, the words ‘All that remains, are the remains.’

The poem topics are what I love most about the book. They tie in with the content of the poem, creating a fluid flow of thoughts and ideas. Some titles act as introductory statements, while others are the final sentence or conclusion of the poem. I equally love the diversity of the poems in terms of length and writing style. Some are only two lines or six words yet are just as impactful as those with several lines. Some are just lines of rhetorical questions, and others are a raw expression of heartfelt and genuine emotions, making for a very captivating read. The conclusion leaves one in suspense and curious about what the subsequent collection holds.

There is nothing I found to dislike; the book is excellently edited and uses intelligible language. However, it is suitable for mature readers due to the alluring erotic content contained in some verses and the use of profane words. It also has blunt descriptions of abusive relationships, which may impress negatively on younger readers. Please, keep writing creates an intimate connection between the reader and the poet, and you can almost see him display his emotions and overcome his pain through the words. Furthermore, it gives accurate and precise instructions on overcoming pain and how to use it to reinvent yourself. I, therefore, give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the poetry collection to those looking to rise from their ashes of despair and heartbreak or those looking for hope and delicate love expressions.

Please, keep writing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

The juxtaposition of a person's experiences and feelings to the lost city of Atlantis is definitely something unusual and very original. I have never heard of something like this done before, so this book definitely captured my attention. Nice review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds quite emotional and I love the comparisons of his life to Atlantis. It sounds like it’s filled with creativity. Thanks for the great review
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Sakura5 wrote: 12 May 2021, 04:45 The juxtaposition of a person's experiences and feelings to the lost city of Atlantis is definitely something unusual and very original. I have never heard of something like this done before, so this book definitely captured my attention. Nice review!
Thank you. It is truly unique and that is also evident in the poems.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda Lydia »

Booklover Becca wrote: 12 May 2021, 16:03 This sounds quite emotional and I love the comparisons of his life to Atlantis. It sounds like it’s filled with creativity. Thanks for the great review
Thank you. The poems are truly compelling and some speak directly to the heart.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on reading this book. I must say, I love the title of the book.
Nondumis0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nondumis0 »

Thank you for the review. I would love to read the whole poem it sounds interesting and I love it.
Pooja Rai 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pooja Rai 1 »

Thank you for all the reveiw.The title of the book is amazing and seeing such reveiw the curiosity of reading the book is more now
Last edited by Pooja Rai 1 on 25 May 2021, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Vampire_demon
Currently Reading: At the Feet of Serenity
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vampire-demon.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by Vampire_demon »

The way you described it in mesmeric , pleasing manner was great. It actually felt like I have to go and start reading this as soon as possible.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Wow, this poetry sounds brilliant! Even your descriptions are reminding me of experiencing very similar feelings and situations to the artist's inspirations. I hope Atlantis keeps writing. Thanks for your review.
Zachoriah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zachoriah »

Mmmm... The poetry is too emotional and experiencing life
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

This book is filled with emotions and creativity. I love the author’s comparison of afterlife to breakup. This gives an idea of how raw the book is. Would definitely be reading this! Thanks for the review.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Wow! Looks like something that will tear me to pieces. Thanks for this beautiful review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”