Official Review: The Season and The Spirit

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Season and The Spirit

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Season and The Spirit" by Bathsheba Gibborim.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Season and The Spirit is a poetry book written by Bathsheba Gibborim. It is a collection of delightful poems that revolve, for the most part, around reflections on our basic human existence. Above all, the author writes about life’s seasons and the different experiences and feelings people have to navigate as time goes by.

Gibborim’s poems are meditations about deeply emotional themes such as happiness, dreams, love, God, miracles, and faith, among others. There are also poems about life’s many challenges and woes, and the author does not shy away from difficult subjects such as pain, abuse, death, despair, and loneliness.

This captivating poetry book, which I enjoyed reading, had several positives worth mentioning. For starters, it is a heartfelt and candid collection that evokes positive feelings – a book to read with a cup of tea during a lazy afternoon. Although several challenging emotions do come up, the author seems to give readers a general undertone of hope and redemption, which I enjoyed. The author’s poems creatively convey some of the deepest personal issues and struggles one can face in life. Also, I liked the book’s general layout. The poems do not follow any definitive structure or rhyme scheme, and Gibborim uses free verse creatively, giving each poem a distinctive feel.

What I enjoyed the most about this volume was the author’s skillful depiction of simple things. I appreciated how Gibborim used mundane things like bananas, a bowl of apples, chocolate, buttons, and bows to weave creative and touching poems; the texts are full of imagination and lyricism. My favorite poem was called 'By the Seashore,' in which the author painted a beautiful picture (using seashells, sandcastles, and pelicans) as a backdrop to saying goodbye to pain and sorrow. The author comes across as a kind soul, and I could easily relate to her musings.

In closing, I rate The Season and The Spirit 3 out of 4 stars. I’m taking a star away because I don’t believe the book is yet in its most polished form. Unfortunately, I found a few editing errors in it, and this impeded me from giving it the highest score. Other than that, I found no noteworthy negatives. It is a lovely and heartwarming collection that I enjoyed very much. I believe it will appeal to all those who enjoy poetry, especially if they favor a sentimental perspective. I wouldn’t recommend it to readers that are not fond of poems.

The Season and The Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The cover is feels warm and good. The poems sound positive and made for a happy read. Reflection on our existence, the most mundane things will be perfect to read on a Sunday. You've written a delightful review!
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

It's a wonderful review that imagines all the emotions that the author filled, in all these poems.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”