Official Review: A Sliver of a Chance by Brian Sankarsingh

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: A Sliver of a Chance by Brian Sankarsingh

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Sliver of a Chance" by Brian Sankarsingh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the wake of massive societal upheavals and a worldwide pandemic, Brian Sankarsingh has put pen to paper to share his thoughts in his debut book, A Sliver of a Chance. In this moving collection of poems, Mr. Sankarsingh addressed many issues facing both the United States and Canada today. Inspired by his observations as an immigrant to Canada, he wrote on topics such as politics, racism, colonialism, and a wide variety of everyday struggles. He also penned some heartwarming tributes to his loved ones and elaborated on newsworthy events that shook him to the core. While I read, I laughed and cried as I saw the world through his eyes.

The book’s cover art is visually appealing. It depicts a man standing on a rope bridge connecting both sides of a steep gorge. The yellow-tinted scenery evokes feelings of hope and serenity as the man leaves one side and crosses to the other. This is a symbolic representation of Mr. Sankarsingh’s journey from his birthplace to his new home. In terms of formatting, this well-organized book has a table of contents, and it is divided into sections that focus on a particular topic. For example, the title of the collection is based on a poem in the segment about racism. Each section begins with an introduction to the topic, and every poem includes a brief explanation of the author’s inspiration for the piece. Some black-and-white cartoon illustrations complement the text.

There were many aspects I enjoyed about this poetry collection. First of all, the author’s writing style was very eloquent. His intellect was apparent because he used many advanced vocabulary words in the text. I learned that the word “crore” denotes a value of ten million (often referring to Indian rupees) and an “acrostic” is a type of poem in which certain letters (usually the first letter of each line) spell out other words or phrases. Many of the poems imparted sage advice that should be heeded.

I can’t mention every poem in this review, but a few of them really stood out to me. Among them, “Suddenly” is my favorite because it is the most relevant to me. I recently had to deal with a death in my family, and the words perfectly capture how I feel about the situation. “Thoughts & Prayers” is a very powerful narrative poem that describes the inner thoughts of a mass shooter and his young victim. I like how the author presents arguments for and against gun ownership in “Guns – Us & Them.” I also like the fact that he acknowledges his roots in the poem entitled “Trinidad.”

There wasn’t much I disliked about the book, but I will list a few of my observations. I felt that the author didn’t offer any fresh perspectives regarding the problem of racism. He only referred to the white vs. colored people aspect, but he could have mentioned the racial prejudice that also exists between other groups. Like the author, I am from Trinidad and Tobago. Seeing as people of African descent and people of Indian descent form the majority of the country’s population, he could have acknowledged the harsh reality that many colored people still divide themselves along perceived racial lines. I wish he had also discussed the matter of colorism because it is sometimes linked to racism and colonialism. Finally, given how many explanations he included throughout the text, it seemed a bit odd that the book ended abruptly after the last poem. I had expected and hoped for a closing statement.

Overall, this is a very well-written and thought-provoking book. It appears to be professionally edited because I only found a few errors. There are two instances in one poem where lewd language is used, so the book is most suitable for teenagers and adults. The pros far outweigh the cons, so I award A Sliver of a Chance a full rating of four out of four stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy poetry and social commentary.

A Sliver of a Chance
View: on Bookshelves
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the book stirred some powerful emotions in you. That is always a great thing. I loved reading your fascinating review, and it seems like you also put of of sentiment when writing it. I am also grateful that I learned a new think about you. I didn't know you were from Trinidad Tobago! I would like to find out more about your country.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I'm usually not a poetry fan, but this sounds incredible. Thanks for the recommendation and the detailed review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 13:24 It seems like the book stirred some powerful emotions in you. That is always a great thing. I loved reading your fascinating review, and it seems like you also put of of sentiment when writing it. I am also grateful that I learned a new think about you. I didn't know you were from Trinidad Tobago! I would like to find out more about your country.
Yes, the poems in this book are very powerful and emotional.

Trinidad and Tobago is a culturally diverse nation in the Caribbean. As the author mentioned, the country's history was shaped by different colonial influences. 🇹🇹

Thank you for your interest. I appreciate your comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 20:45 I'm usually not a poetry fan, but this sounds incredible. Thanks for the recommendation and the detailed review.
You're welcome! Even though poetry is not really your thing, I hope you will give this book a try.

Thank you for your comment.
😁
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's difficult for me to appreciate poems in a language that's not my primary language but this book seems very interesting not only from an artistic point of view, as it offers some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

During difficult times poetry comes to save us. I would love to read this one. The cover is surely an eye-catcher. Thank you for this amazing review!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

These poems sound like a journey. Suddenly is a poem that, I guess many readers can relate to. The cover is beautiful and the title sounds hope filled. Thank you for a great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have the utmost respect for authors who document parts of history because they not only get to share about their worlds, they stand to educate masses. Books like these become valuable pieces of history.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I also love the cover and think it complements the title perfectly. I would love to read these poems, I appreciate the emotions that go into writing them. Thank you for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 04:52 It's difficult for me to appreciate poems in a language that's not my primary language but this book seems very interesting not only from an artistic point of view, as it offers some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, this book contains historical information in addition to heartfelt poetry.

Thank you for commenting. 😊
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Ellylion wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 07:13 During difficult times poetry comes to save us. I would love to read this one. The cover is surely an eye-catcher. Thank you for this amazing review!
You're welcome! Thank you for stopping by to read it and leave a comment.
😄
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:50 These poems sound like a journey. Suddenly is a poem that, I guess many readers can relate to. The cover is beautiful and the title sounds hope filled. Thank you for a great review!
Yes, many of the poems describe different stages in the author's life. "Suddenly" deals with the topic of death.

Thank you for your kind comments.
😇
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:35 I have the utmost respect for authors who document parts of history because they not only get to share about their worlds, they stand to educate masses. Books like these become valuable pieces of history.
You are absolutely right! Thank you for your insightful words!
😄
― Horace Mann
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a collection very appropriate for the times we are in. Poetry just isn't what I gravitate towards, though. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”