Review of Poetry By Shaw

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of Poetry By Shaw

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetry By Shaw" by Caleb Shaw.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you love solving puzzles and reading poems? If so, you'd be delighted to find a book that perfectly blends poetry and brain-tasking puzzles. Poetry by Shaw by Caleb Shaw is a unique kind of book.

Shaw's book contains numerous lovely and well-crafted poems. One of these is Dumb. In very few words, it tells of the trickiness of identifying a dumb person. Another poem is titled Time. It relates to the certainty of the passage of time. I was reminded that over time, we are all subject to unavoidable aging and death. I soon came upon a unique 'poem' titled Blank. The page was blank. I was shocked. When I flipped to the next page though, I realized that the blank poem was part of the story puzzle in the book. A line in the next poem says, 'Was he really just a blank page?' Every other poem in the book was equally interesting and captivating.

The book has a small size of 47 pages. Each page contains a short poem of few stanzas. At first, I was bothered by the length of the poems. Once I started reading though, I couldn't put down the book. I kept going over the poems repeatedly to get the sense of the words.

It was really interesting to fit the puzzles and understand the story being told by the poems. It is a story with a plot and characters. The characters include a young man and an old man. Nevertheless, each poem had something captivating to say. The poems were well-developed and contained literary devices such as rhymes, alliteration, metaphors, symbols, and so on. Caleb Shaw's writing style is similar to that of Shel Silverstein. A little research about Silverstein opened my eyes to interesting styles of poetry.

My most favorite poem is Poetry. I particularly love its simplicity and clarity. It highlights how difficult poetry can be to the indoctrinated. I would have loved to share my version of the tale being told by the poems, however, a note in the book discourages this. It would probably spoil the fun for others who are about to read the book. I have no dislikes about this book. It was an awesome work of poetry.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well edited. The poems are interesting and free of profanities. I recommend this book to lovers of poetry who would welcome a little brain challenge.

Poetry By Shaw
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shreeya Tambe
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreeya-tambe.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Shreeya Tambe »

Thank you for such an amazing review. Cant wait to check this out!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy puzzles, but I don't enjoy poetry. Therefore, I don't think this is for me. Thanks for the detailed review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This might be too challenging for me, as English is not my primary language, but the mix of puzzles and poems seems original. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Poetry is very subjective. I am glad that you found much to like about this short book. Did the book have any illustrations? Thank you for an informative and glowing review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I enjoyed reading your experience with this book.
Not a huge fan of poem...but I enjoyed reading the sample!
It's cleverly written.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

A book that marries my two favourite concepts together; poetry and puzzles, I m bookmarking this one. Thanks for a wonderful review :)
Gift Odhiambo
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift-odhiambo.html
Latest Review: Private Eye, Secret Spy by Ian D. Withers
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Gift Odhiambo »

Would love to read the book because it contains poetry. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”