What Genre Do You like To Read Most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

What Genre Do You like To Read Most?

Post by readerromance2003 »

Do you have a favorite genre you are reading right now? How often do you chance to a different one?

I have always gone through phases when it came to reading. Between the ages of 3-5 I was into children's books. It did not matter what kind as long as it was entertaining or fun. Age 6-11 I was all about adventure and mystery. Nancy Drew, Box Car Children, Babysitters Club was my favorite. Age 12-15 I was all about Horror. Fear Street, Christopher Pike, Mary Higgins Clark and who ever I could find. Age 16-today I have been into romance. I like all aspects from historical to erotica and am willing to try almost anything. I do branch out a few times to the other genres but mainly I stick with romance.
cgrice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgrice.html

Post by cgrice »

I read a lot of Amish and Christian fiction. I do enjoy clean romance now and then as well as historical fiction. I also enjoy mystery although I haven't read any in a while. My genre choice varies frequently based on the books that I have available. Like you, when I was a child, The Babysitters Club was my favorite series.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Family drama, intelligent mysteries, some romance too.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, since I write private detective novels, I generally enjoy reading "the competition" and in particular Robert Crais.

In a wider scope, any modern mysteries, but I really really try to avoid "cozies" -- the Agatha Christie-flavor books. I greatly prefer the more rough-and-tumble type of story.

Outside of genre fiction I read history (particularly Roman and Greek classic history), biographies, and books on physics (quantum physics, cosmology, etc)
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Michele_Reads1984

Post by Michele_Reads1984 »

I am a total paranormal romance junkie! I will read anything really but of late that seems to be the genre I am gravitating towards, although there is no predicting when something else will grab my attention.
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

Romance is my favorite subject, it helps that Im a romantic at heart.

-- 24 Apr 2014, 23:18 --

Romance is my favorite subject, it helps that Im a romantic at heart.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read all except Non-fiction and like cozy as well as modern mysteries. I zigzag between the genres.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

A lot of Nonfiction. History, Archaeology, Physics, Comparative Psych, some Biology, such as Biology of Gila Monsters and Beaded Lizards by Dr. Daniel Beck. Oops. That wasn't a shameless plug for my rattlesnake mentor or anything. Okay, it kinda was.

In fiction, Urban Fantasy, except no one writes it anymore. It's been invaded and conquered by Supernatural Romance. :x Science Thrillers. Spy Thrillers. Military Thrillers. Anything with a kick-butt hero and a high bullet count. Extra points if the hero doesn't end up in bed with a spunky female sidekick who's been forced on him by circumstances. Sci Fi/Fantasy, though the newer fantasy writers all seem to lack the ability to really create lived-in worlds and characters with depth, so I find myself rereading older Fantasy.

No Romance or "Chick Lit." Also not fond of Lit Fic. I find that modern Lit Fic tends to take itself too seriously, and the current fad is for characters that seem sleazy and creepy and make me want to wash my hands after reading about them. And what's with the Lit Fic fascination with sweat and saliva? I don't get it. So, I generally avoid anything that can be read in exaggerated, hushed tones on NPR, though I know that places me squarely in the low-brow population! :lol:
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm going to lock this as there are already multiple topics open on the same subject - use the Search button & search under the word genre
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”