Review of Monumental

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Monumental

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monumental" by Jerquias Walker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monumental is a book of poems by Jerquias Walker. Many of the works contained in this volume address the harsh reality of life in the underclass, taking on issues such as police brutality, racism, and terrorism. There are also poems that address more personal issues such as attraction, love, and heartbreak.

This is a brief book but not necessarily a quick read. The poems are worthy of full consideration rather than just a passing glance. They are written in an unpolished rhyming style that reads like a rap. The style reminds me of songs by some of the politically oriented rap groups from the 70s through the 90s that I enjoyed in my youth and still appreciate today.

It is challenging to edit poetry as over-editing can leave poems feeling watered down and overproduced. I personally appreciate poetry that has a raw, unpolished quality. Nonetheless, correct word choices can be important to the readability of a poem, and I feel that if the document had been proofread that the author would have made different word choices in certain cases.

When reviewing poetry, it can be difficult to determine if a word is a typo or a deliberate stylistic choice. For instance, when the author writes “But you left/And that was the end of the rode/ What happened was beyond my control,” he may have made the deliberate choice to use the word rode rather than road. However, I believe that in the case of these lines:

“nothing but humidity on could only sense humility no need for pity”

The word “on” is a typo. “One could only sense humility” makes sense. “On could only sense humility” does not.

Other than the need for proofreading, there was nothing that I disliked about the book. It was written in a real and honest style. I prefer the sociopolitical works to the personal ones, but that is a matter of taste. I appreciated the fact that the author did not shy away from taking on difficult subjects or criticizing politicians and policies that keep people trapped in poverty.

The book is best suited to a mature audience because of subject matter such as drug and alcohol use, police brutality, racism, sexuality, and terrorist attacks. Also, the author often writes from a Christian standpoint, and those who prefer secular reading material might not appreciate the religious aspect of his work. None of the poems include graphic descriptions of sex or violence. There is strong profanity, but not a lot of it.

I give Monumental three out of four stars for the fact that the book was not professionally edited. It is an excellent effort, and the world needs more bold and honest voices like Mr. Walker’s.

Monumental
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Finding a book of poems that dissects some of the major problems we face in the world currently is simply phenomenal. I hope to find more of this soon. Definitely a must read. Thanks BOTD.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

For me, the most appealing quality about this book would be the raw, unpolished quality as you mentioned. Would like to give it a try. Thanks for such a nice review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a nice book of poetry, and it is a shame it missed out on another proofread before publishing. Great review!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I love when one uncovers the chaos we face today. But I’m not a religious person, so I’ll pass this. Thanks for telling that ahead. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”