Review of Growing Through Hell

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Review of Growing Through Hell

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Growing Through Hell" by Vanessa holland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Growing Through Hell, Vanessa Holland recounts the harsh experiences she has faced since childhood. She considered her life was worthless and did not feel important to anyone. Holland developed a constant depression and as a consequence, she plunged into the world of drugs, alcohol, sexual abuse, and suicidal wishes, among other evils. Eventually, she decided to seek help and managed to embark on a recovery process that changed her life for the better.

The book is organized into numerous subtitles with short content. Most of them are written in poetry format, usually without rhyme. This constitutes a very pleasant presentation that makes reading fluent. Some narratives are in the first-person perspective and others in the third person. What I liked the most was the writing style. The author manages to present her experiences with all their realism even though there is no chronological order or precise sequence in what is told.

The use of free verses highlights the emotions and feelings in what is expressed. Although dire situations are recounted, the mode in which they were compiled and presented allows perceiving the ideas and facts in a digestible way. I think the manner of narrating can make many people feel relatable even if they are not suffering similar situations or a high degree of depression.

Holland explores thought-provoking aspects like pretending to be different instead of being oneself; fearing the truth; getting rid of the paradigms; revising whether what our parents taught us is correct or not, and eliminate the labels imposed by society. In addition, I liked some reflective phrases, for example, “It was my mind that killed me (no one else had the power to do so)” and “My mind created every internal battle that I faced."

The author transmits encouraging and upbeat messages of how she has managed to overcome all these evils that she has endured. Undoubtedly, people who are going through or have been through similar situations will find much inspiration and hope in this work. It is commendable Holland has encountered her passion by sharing her message of recovery with those who are facing battles alike the ones she confronted.

As for the negative aspects, there was nothing I disliked about this work. I have read several books that explore the subject of depression and of people who have experienced many difficulties, but this is outstanding. I consider Growing Through Hell remarkable due to the poetry format, the writing style, the way of narrating, and the inspiring message conveyed. I wholeheartedly recommend it to those who are going through depressive states and difficult times. In the same way, I think it would be useful for those who feel they have not yet found their goal in life. The editing is professional since I only noticed one minor typo. Taking into account all that has been said, I gladly award Growing Through Hell four out of four stars.

Growing Through Hell

Growing Through Hell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds very thoughtfully done. I’m glad the author was able to create a narration that involved the reader in their life. Thanks for the great review
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Nice review. This story sounds very emotional and raw. The author leaves a piece of herself for each reader by sharing such personal information. I’m sure it is a great read.
maged2006
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maged2006 »

A very good writer is that who presents his thoughts and experiences in simple and clear style, auther succeeded to doing that.
Vincy Collins

Post by Vincy Collins »

You make me have that interest of getting the book and reading right away .I love everything you say about the book.I hope Read it soon
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Books with no rhymes present as more raw, more sensitive. Also, the narration in first and third person would make it easier to relate with. It appears that the author did a great job at articulating her struggles. Would be an honour to read this book. This was a great review.
Destiny Uankhoba

Post by Destiny Uankhoba »

A very good writer is that who presents his thoughts and experiences in simple and clear style, understandable to its reader. auther succeeded to doing that. Good job
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the idea of ​​writing in a poetry format, without rhyme, as well as changing the perspective from the first to the third person in the narrative.
Barend V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barend-v.html
Latest Review: Jake Miller by Billy Ray Williams

Post by Barend V »

This looks like an interesting book. It seems as though the author presented familiar topics in a different manner. Which is always refreshing. I enjoyed your review.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Not everyone of us had a memorable childhood, and it is true that writing is one of the ways that one's mind can be expressed. I'd love to read the different perspective/narratives of the author. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”