Review of Laughing with My Hair Up

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of Laughing with My Hair Up

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Laughing with My Hair Up" by Hannah Pearl.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For many, life seems to be a cup full of struggles and heartbreak. Bottling up these feelings may lead to anxiety and depression. However, letting them all out can provide the relief and healing we seek. Laughing with My Hair Up by Hannah Pearl is a collection of soulful poems.

This book is Pearl’s debut poetry collection. The poems vary in structure, length, and theme. They also prove that our journey in life is akin to the growth of a flower. They speak of heartbreak, trauma, grief, loss, loneliness, turbulent life lessons, and much more. However, the poems are not all centered on dark themes. Some of the poems are introspections and descriptions of Hannah's personality. For instance, the poems titled Peeled and Don't Call Me Beautiful describe the poet's unflattering view of herself. However, these poems also reveal the writer's healthy level of self-esteem. The book contains over one hundred poems, which are divided into 3 sections.

Hannah's poetry is neither obscure nor overly plain. Literary devices brought life to the poems. For instance, the repetitions and wordplay in the poem, Compassionate Carly, made it a pleasurable read. The author's writing style is honest and emotional. I couldn't help falling into the mood of the poems. The many layers of meaning in each poem adds depth and beauty to the book. I also love the simple illustrations in the book. The first illustration of a drooping flower clearly depicts the tone of the poems in the first section.

My most favorite poem is Purpose. It was beautifully composed to pass a powerful message in simple words. My favorite line in this poem is 'Sleep is for the dead. Remember that every time you’re beckoned to come alive.' Numerous poems won my heart in this collection.

The Weight of the Waiting is a poem that appears to be disjointed from its theme. Also, some poems seem out of place in the book. California and Policing Politics are concerned with California fires and murder respectively. These themes have no strong connection to the central themes of the book. This is my most disliked aspect of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because most of the poems are beautifully written. There is much to learn from the author's heartfelt expressions. However, sensitive readers should note that the poems contain non-borderline profanities. The text is exceptionally well edited, and I would recommend it to lovers of poetry who are interested in themes of heartbreak, loss, and introspection.

Laughing with My Hair Up
View: on Bookshelves
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a lovely collection and very emotional. I will have a look at it. Thank you!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I love poems. I would love to read this book.
Thanks for the intriguing review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I don’t normally choose to read poetry, but I enjoying listening to it. This collection of poems sounds great. Nice review!
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I absolutely adore anything that’ll potentially rip my heart out. I wonder if this book does that. Thank you for writing this beautiful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

This book goes to the top of my list of books I want to read. Thanks for the good review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The poems seem so realistic and relatable. I love reading poetry and might read this book. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
emmamuel wekesa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by emmamuel wekesa »

this poetry inspires how life got have ups and down I really like it
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Thank you for the review. This looks like a good book to read. I love the title it seems lighthearted and apt for the content. I like that you say this poetry encompasses a range of emotions and styles.
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

For real this is introspective in nature , I have picked interest in reading it as the review showed how a person's life could be like that of a flower. Thanks for the review
Loveen Kalya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveen-kalya.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Loveen Kalya »

'Sleep is for the dead. Remember that every time you’re beckoned to come alive.'...I'd definitely love to read a poem with these words and many other. Seems like my self esteem will be boosted because of the author's self esteem. Thanks for the review.
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

I've read a lot of her poetry on social media and I absolutely love her poetry, your review has just affirmed my thoughts and I will definitely pick this one up!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”