Review of Just The Word

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of Just The Word

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just The Word" by Avron Levine White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some decisions in life can make or mar one's future. One of these is marriage. The failure of a marriage can lead to negative consequences for all involved. This is one of the issues addressed by Just The Word by Avron Levine White. Many other vital issues in life are also addressed in this poetry collection.

This book is a collection of over 20 poems. It contains illustrations that are related to the subjects of the poems. The author's poetic talent shines through the numerous well-crafted poems in the book. The Marriage is a poem that sheds light on the intricacies of marriage. It describes how marriage begins with 'selfless love.' Perhaps, an illusion of love that gradually gives way to anger and despair. Soon, the initial bonding between the couple becomes bondage. I found many other insightful and emotional poems in the book as well.

Avron Levine's ability to delve deep into vital issues makes this book stand out. Also, a link to the music attached to this book took my reading experience to new heights. I also love the fact that the poems were logically arranged. For instance, after The Marriage comes The Separation, then The Divorce.

My most favorite poem is Phone Pals. In simple and eloquent words, it exposes a trap we often fall into. The truthfulness of the words of Levine cannot be overemphasized when he said, 'We cease to see who is in front of us To understand the song of their conversation. Have we stolen the voice? Are our hearts and souls In the cloud! My WhatsApp. Your Viber.' These words remind me to place more value on real and physical relationships, not just on virtual ones.

As expected in poetry, I found numerous expressions that appeared to be too obscure for comprehension. However, a second glance usually clears my confusion. For instance, in the poem, The Argument, a line says, 'Dismantle your passion for being right When practical matters vary ever so slight.' I got confused at first. However, it made perfect sense after giving it some thought.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is much to learn from the author's views. Proper use of literary devices gave the poems an artistic touch. The book was exceptionally well edited. I have no dislikes about it. However, some of the poems have sexual undertones. The poems in the book cover a wide range of topics, which include marriage, love, music, party, pets, and so on. Lovers of poetry with an interest in these subjects will enjoy reading this book.

Just The Word
View: on Bookshelves
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm not a fan of poetry books, but I might give this book a chance. It seems like a very well-written book with insightful and truthfully poems. Thanks for the great review!
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by MoeBrown »

I love poems; they're so interesting and fun to read. Would like to give this a read. Thanks for the review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

I am a big fan of poetry and these poems seem so realistic. And the logical arrangement of poems also gives this book an appealing factor. Poems are always such a relief. I would definitely want to read these poems someday. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
valiantecho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valiantecho.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by valiantecho »

I love to read and write poems. I would definitely like to give it a read.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I think I'll give this poem book a try. Seems interesting. I love your review!
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I always appreciate poetry for it brings implicit noteworthy lessons to grasp. I hope, I’ll definitely enjoy this one as I give it a go. Thanks for your honest review!
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I've never read a book of poetry that had as its main theme the discussion of a failed marriage. Maybe it's time to give it a try. Thanks for your review.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I am a lover of poetry and these poems seem impactful. I love how you mentioned your favorite from the book. I can't wait to read this book and get more ideas for my poetry. Excellent review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”