Review of Poartry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of Poartry

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poartry" by Doug Kiburz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poartry by Doug Kiburz is a fun volume of cowboy-style poetry aimed at giving the reader a lighter view of life in general and the wild west in particular. As told from the perspective of a rancher, these poems also reflect the opinions of a sculptor and surgeon. The western theme of the poetry is prevalent, however, and tends toward humorous lines of thought.

I loved how the subtitle describes this book as a collision of poetry and art rather than a collection of poetry and art. Little nuggets of humor like that bring a smile to every reader and make the journey through this book enjoyable. Each page reveals a new and pleasing discovery of observations and insights.

Each chapter presents poems written about a different topic. From holidays, history, and ranching, to love and romance, each one is a wonderful collection of inspiration and humor dealing with the new subject for that particular chapter.

My favorite poem in this work was about America’s First Responders and a very fitting tribute to those who make sacrifices for us each and every day. I loved the style of narrative that flowed through this author’s poetry. The sense of comedy is there in the rhythm of the stanzas, but the depth of the emotion is also carried through in a balanced way that is pleasing overall.

The photos and artwork that illustrate each poem add to the hilarity or mood of each work and accent the feel of the book overall. I liked how each illustration complimented its particular theme. Some of the drawings were cute and comical, while some of the photos added the element of fine art.

If I were to try to find something negative about this book, it would not be easy. However, I did notice that some of the poetry in some of the sections seemed a bit random in its placement with the topics. That said, that aspect did not affect my enjoyment of the book as I progressed through it.

Character development in a book of poetry covering so many different subjects might be difficult for readers to pin down. Still, again, the narrative leaves the reader with a sense that the author’s character comes through distinctly.

I offer a word of caution for sensitive readers. There is some off-color humor in some of the poems in this volume, although nothing severe or too vulgar. Due to that aspect, I recommend this book to adults who enjoy poetry that makes good points and is light and entertaining. The editing was fair in this book. I found errors that ranged from spelling to incorrect hyphenation and an instance of a stanza begun but not finished. For these reasons, I am rating this work with 3 out of 4 stars. It will appeal most to fans of humorous poetry with a western theme.

Poartry
View: on Bookshelves
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I enjoy poetry and art, so I think I will like this book. It will be nice to find some humorous poetry for a change.

Thank you for your well-written review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but I like that there's a comedic side to some poems in this book. I might give this book a try. Thanks for the great review!
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

This collection seems to be very unique and very smart, never heard of a book like it! Great review you have here.
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

I like this review. it seems like this review sounds great.i think the flaws in this book has enjoyments.i will find this book to enjoyed from the beginning to the end.thank you for the great reviews thank you.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

This genre is for me. I should definitely give this a shot. Thank you for this honest and explicit review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”