Review of Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Review of Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry

Post by Hhannahh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry" by Donald Chance.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry by Donald W. Chance is a "free verse poetry chapbook" comprising of 32 poems, some narrative and some lyrical. The poems, I believe, were inspired by an insightful observation of life's activities and realities by the poet, and they cut across an extensive range of topics. One of my favorites from this collection, Never Enough, depicted life's never-ending expectations and demands. Another poem, Night Freight at Nine, was about the poet's nighttime terror of the scary things under the bed. He reasons that they must be blind or don't know how to climb the sides of the bed; finally, sleep comes to his rescue.

Each poem takes up just about half a page, which makes the book a quick read. However, reading through this book quickly will not yield maximum satisfaction, as comprehension of some poems may not dawn after just the first read, given the composition of the poems. The lines were clothed in figurative language, the verses were written as run-on lines—with no punctuations or regular line breaks—and the poem had no rhyme scheme or metering. These complexities, however, added some flavor to the work. The themes varied from poem to poem, as did the tone and mood. Every poem, from the most serious to the most frivolous, evoked an emotion; some poems were outrightly just funny.

Given the literary structure and composition of the poems, I had to read each poem at least twice for proper comprehension and appreciation. And I initially didn't enjoy this process. With each rereading, however, I appreciated the poems better, and that gave me better satisfaction. Soon, I didn't mind rereading, and I then enjoyed the book. I thus say that poetry is to be savored, not rushed. I liked that a wide range of topics was featured in the poems, and I liked the poems in their unique differences. Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry was a good read, and in the absence of any errors, which tells well of the book's editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Like I already mentioned, I didn't get the meaning of most poems on the first read, and that was the only thing I disliked about this book. I, however, found the solution to that problem. However, there were still a couple of poems I didn't understand, even up till the time of writing this review. On a recommendatory note, an audio format of this book would be helpful; it would guide the reader on the flow of each poem and make the book more enjoyable. Any other grammatical irregularity I noticed in this work can be justified by poetic license.

My recommendation of this book is surmised by a verse in the book:
If sophistry is your game
you have stumbled correctly
finding the right place.

Nevertheless, I think anybody can enjoy this book. It is a book for free thinkers.

Jack Rabbit's High Desert Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Lovely review from you. I have a newfound love for poetry and this one looks like a title I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I wonder if Jack Rabbit is on the cover and how come he loves poetry :). Lovely review!
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:06 Lovely review from you. I have a newfound love for poetry and this one looks like a title I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
I too am just starting to enjoy the poetry genre. Thank you for commenting.
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:28 I wonder if Jack Rabbit is on the cover and how come he loves poetry :). Lovely review!
I guess he is 😅. Jack Rabbit thinks really deep.
Thank you.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Poetry is not my favorite genre, and I'm afraid I might not get the gist of most of these poems. Therefore, I don't think it is for me. However, I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like what you wrote, that this is a book for free thinkers. Thanks for the objective review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”