Review of Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections" by Paulette Rochelle-Levy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amid these tumultuous times, Paulette Rochelle-Levy has an important message to share in her book, Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections. As a holistic psychotherapist, she understands the value of nourishing the mind, body, and soul. Even though she became an orphan at the tender age of thirteen, she learned to be grateful for every blessing that was bestowed upon her. She urges readers to embrace a spirit of loving-kindness and thankfulness. Having lived a full life, she had the opportunity to meet renowned teachers like Albert Einstein and Ram Dass. Now she has penned her experiences in this unique collection of poems, social commentary, and Jewish prayers. Ms. Rochelle-Levy certainly made good use of her extra time at home during the lockdowns!

The book’s rosy cover image features a painting of a grassy hill overlooking the seaside. A lone garden chair beckons for someone to sit and enjoy the view. The title is written in a beautiful cursive font. Because of the pink tint of the cover illustration and the floral designs placed between the section breaks, there is a distinctively feminine essence flowing throughout the book. The publication contains eleven chapters. Each chapter begins with an unusual quote to consider. The poems have a nice rhythm, but most of the verses do not rhyme. Some words are capitalized for emphasis. The main themes of the book include spirituality, Jewish mysticism, meditation, nature, and healing through dance. There is no violent or lewd content in the text.

There were several things I enjoyed about this collection. I especially liked the fact that the book was a combination of different genres, including the elements of poetry, social commentary, memoir-style discussions, and suggested techniques for healing from emotional pain. The author also added instructions and exercises for meditation to calm oneself and connect with God. Many of her reflections focused on the effects that the pandemic has had on people. I appreciated how the author described her passion for dance and her rediscovery of her Jewish faith. As such, many Hebrew phrases appeared in the text, and I learned more about Jewish traditions.

I didn’t dislike anything about this organized and well-written book. Following the author’s suggestion in the introduction, I closed my eyes and randomly selected a poem to read. The one my finger landed on was entitled “Yes, from Kathleen.” This poem urged readers to cherish their loved ones while they are alive. This struck a chord with me because I am still coping with a recent death in my family. Some might say it was the message I needed at the time. As I mentioned before, there were also many memorable quotes, such as “Sometimes it’s the worst nightmare that wakes us up.” Among the many lessons taught, there was one that really stood out to me. Ms. Rochelle-Levy encouraged readers to “break the addiction of complaining” because it “squeezes the energy out of you.”

In conclusion, I rate Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections by Paulette Rochelle-Levy four out of four stars. The book’s formatting is impeccable, and I only found a few typos. So, I am certain that it is professionally edited. This publication is best suited for people who yearn for a spiritual connection with the world. Dancers will delight in the vivid descriptions of the human body in motion. Animal lovers can also relate to the content because the author mentions her faithful pets several times. Even though there are numerous religious references, non-religious people can also enjoy the writing.

Longing & Be-Longing: Poems, Prayers & Reflections
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
CLightWriter
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clightwriter.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by CLightWriter »

I am a firm believer in how the body and mind are tied together. This review captured my interest because this book focuses on mindfulness and spirituality. The fact that it combines different genres should make it a great read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm always interested in reflections and meditation and I'm glad this book can be interesting for non-religious people as well, as sometimes honestly the religious element spoils it for me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

Sadly, Paulette became an orphan at a very early age, 13 years old. She portrays a strong sense of humanity in her as she uses her book to inspire others to be kind and grateful.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Just because life is unfair to you that doesn't gives you the right to be mean and somewhere I can relate this with author. I like how composed she is even after loosing her parents. Thank you for the wonderful review🌻🌼
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I love how the book has different genres combined. This is quite interesting and I might enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

CLightWriter wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 17:18 I am a firm believer in how the body and mind are tied together. This review captured my interest because this book focuses on mindfulness and spirituality. The fact that it combines different genres should make it a great read.

Based on what you said, I'm sure you'll enjoy this book! Thank you for your comment.
😁
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 02:59 I'm always interested in reflections and meditation and I'm glad this book can be interesting for non-religious people as well, as sometimes honestly the religious element spoils it for me. Thank you for your great review!
Haha! I know what you mean. Sometimes, religious people can get a little too preachy. But this book explores concepts that non-religious people can also relate to.

Thank you commenting.
😀
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 09:56 Sadly, Paulette became an orphan at a very early age, 13 years old. She portrays a strong sense of humanity in her as she uses her book to inspire others to be kind and grateful.

You are absolutely right! I believe that her book could inspire and encourage many people who have suffered hardships in life.

Thank you so much for your comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Priya_Singh wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 15:59 Just because life is unfair to you that doesn't gives you the right to be mean and somewhere I can relate this with author. I like how composed she is even after loosing her parents. Thank you for the wonderful review🌻🌼
I agree! We don't have to let tragic events make us bitter toward others. Thank you for commenting.
😄
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Tarie07 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 17:56 I love how the book has different genres combined. This is quite interesting and I might enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
You're welcome. I hope you can also read the book and enjoy it.

Thank you for commenting.
😁
― Horace Mann

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”