Review of the moon won't be dared

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of the moon won't be dared

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the moon won't be dared" by anne leigh parrish.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

the moon won't be dared by award-winning author anne leigh parrish is a book of contemporary poetry. It covers a vast array of subject matter from nature to emotions and draws a reader down many different pathways. The lack of capital letters in both the title and the author's name created a simplicity of design that set the tone for the entire book.

I was only into this book a few pages when I realized it would likely become a favorite of mine. The initial mood of escapism and the immersive quality of the verse drew me in and held my attention. I found myself resisting intrusion and interruption while reading this work.

I loved the cover and the way the title wrapped around the moon. The colors and mood reflected the style of poetry beautifully. The black of night with the shade of red in the moon inspires the type of reflection and dreaming that poetry is supposed to inspire.

What I liked best in this book was the generous helping of nature in much of this poetry and verse. They are guided and highlighted by the art nouveau style of decorative illustration that accompanies them. The collages use simple lines and colors that enhance without taking away from the words. The artwork that combines the image of a woman with the leaves and foliage of nature in place of her hair brings readers closer to that connection with the planet and of self that will appeal to a broad range of poetry fans. I loved the author's reference to the splendid renewal of spring.

I smiled at the occasional touch of whimsy, and I enjoyed that little gift of humor here and there. These details provided the balance and flow that might have otherwise been missing from the book had it focused on darker subjects alone.

There are shades of grief, torture, and violence that touch this presentation. Anyone looking for a complete work of feel-good poetry will have to look elsewhere. That said, the depth of this author's work is significant and well worth the quality time spent reading. I do, however, recommend it to a mature audience, due to some of the darker subject matter. It will appeal the most to those who love a well-balanced collection of poetry and verse.

If you were never a poetry fan and this was the first book of poetry you read, without a doubt, you would become a fervent fan of poetry. For that reason alone, this book has more than earned the 4 out of 4 stars rating that I have given. It is exceptionally edited, and I have found no fault with it whatsoever. I congratulate the author on a work well done.

the moon won't be dared
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

"If you were never a poetry fan and this was the first book of poetry you read, without a doubt, you would become a fervent fan of poetry."

Oh, that's me. I've never read a book of poetry in my life. I've been interested in the idea of reading poetry but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Thank you for a lovely review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I enjoy poetry, reading and writing it, so by the sound of this review, it is definitely for me. Thank you.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

I generally do prefer dark poetry anyway and your recommendation affirms that I would probably like it. Thank you for the detailed review!
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

The book cover was what drew me in first, the red contrast of the moon and well, the review didn't disappoint. I think this book might just be me deal.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Although I am not a big fan of poetry this sounds dreamy. It looks simple and down to earth. It might just be something that ones read, you want to read it again and you might just find other hidden gems.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”