Review of Musings, Woolgathering,& Ghosts

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Musings, Woolgathering,& Ghosts

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Musings, Woolgathering,& Ghosts" by CK Sobey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Musings, Woolgathering, & Ghosts is a short poetry book that will make you appreciate nature and meditate on various aspects of life. The author used a free verse, without rhymes, but quite melodic.

As you might have guessed, the book is divided into three chapters: Musings, Woolgathering, and Ghosts. While the first poems reflect on various realities, including the new ones created by the pandemic, the second chapter presents some random thoughts. The last section introduces different “ghosts” of the past. I don’t know if that was only my interpretation, but I felt that the author described the present, the future, and the past.

I really enjoyed Offerings, a poem that made a parallel between choosing a dish from a menu and picking the right things in life. On the other hand, Alchemy advised the reader to have patience. Sometimes, we complain that our life is hard and things did not happen as we would have liked. However, we discover that it was better that way. The poetry made me feel calm and prone to meditation.

You might think poetry is only for dreamers and idealists, but the book was deeply anchored in reality. The pandemic hit CK Sobey hard and forced her to clean her mind, connect to nature, and focus on her artistic projects. That is why you will find many familiar and current themes in her verses. Furthermore, the book included many educational aspects that interested me. The writer encouraged people to dream big, enjoy life, and be optimistic despite the hardships they may encounter. Ghosts inspired readers to respect and love any soul, including birds and animals. I also learned new things. Did you know that snails can sleep up to 3 years?

Besides the charming content, the book displayed an excellent presentation. The poems were complemented by expressive photos (taken by the author) that revealed more pieces of the writer's world. The illustrations celebrated the beauty of nature with charming trees or flowers, but also included several urban landscapes. I could not find any errors, so I appreciated the excellent editing.

I gladly give Musings, Woolgathering, & Ghosts by CK Sobey a rating of four out of four stars. I had no reason to lower the rating since there was nothing I disliked about the book. It is an excellent retreat for any reader that enjoys themes like nature, love, Christianity, and spirituality. Classical music enthusiasts will be thrilled to discover a poem inspired by Pavarotti. People that suffered from loneliness due to isolation might also resonate with the author’s reflections. I leave you with the ending of the Ancestral Dreaming poem: “We are not alone. Never alone.”

Musings, Woolgathering,& Ghosts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

l have never tried poetry novels. I would like to try this as it has poems about the pandemic. It has a perfect rating. Thanks for the review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Ethan Howe wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 10:22 l have never tried poetry novels. I would like to try this as it has poems about the pandemic. It has a perfect rating. Thanks for the review.
I hope you will enjoy it! Thank you for stopping by!
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

Amazing review! I would certainly love to read this poetry book. I am a fan of books that bring the past, present and future together. I love the poetic devices and style used by the author.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

Sounds like a truly lovely read. Reading about dreaming big, enjoying life, and being optimistic is exactly the type of book to read during these weird and troubling times. Well done on the review! It was beautifully written.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Precious DA wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 14:13 Amazing review! I would certainly love to read this poetry book. I am a fan of books that bring the past, present and future together. I love the poetic devices and style used by the author.
The authors seems to have a great writing style. I'm impressed too!
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Seems like you enjoyed this book. I am a huge fan of poetry books, unfortunately, not many poets write so well these days. I'm looking forward to this one.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I would love to read this book! Comparing picking a dish on the menu to picking the right things is a spot-on analogy. I didn't even know that fun fact about snails. I can't wait to read the book! Thanks for the awesome review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

A good poetry book, huh? The themes of nature, love and Christianity certainly do it for me. Great review, RalucaMihaila!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The review has convinced me to read this one. Sounds like an interesting concept, presenting the past, present and future in this manner. Thank you for the review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Precious DA wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 14:13 Amazing review! I would certainly love to read this poetry book. I am a fan of books that bring the past, present and future together. I love the poetic devices and style used by the author.
I am glad this book sparked your interest. I appreciate your visit!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Katie Blackmore wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 15:20 Sounds like a truly lovely read. Reading about dreaming big, enjoying life, and being optimistic is exactly the type of book to read during these weird and troubling times. Well done on the review! It was beautifully written.
It was a very pleasant surprise, indeed. Enjoy the book and thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Chiwelite O wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 15:29 Seems like you enjoyed this book. I am a huge fan of poetry books, unfortunately, not many poets write so well these days. I'm looking forward to this one.
Not so many fans of poetry, also. I am glad to discover one of the few :). Thanks for your visit!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 16:20 I would love to read this book! Comparing picking a dish on the menu to picking the right things is a spot-on analogy. I didn't even know that fun fact about snails. I can't wait to read the book! Thanks for the awesome review.
We should make the right choices in both of the mentioned aspects :). Thank you so much for your feedback and comment!d
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

RHD wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 22:13 A good poetry book, huh? The themes of nature, love and Christianity certainly do it for me. Great review, RalucaMihaila!
Then you should definitely read this! Thank you so much!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”