Review of ALady Called Mom

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of ALady Called Mom

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ALady Called Mom" by M.A. Benjamin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

ALady Called Mom by M.A. Benjamin is a collection of poems dedicated to a child's most extraordinary person: the mother. This collection consists of stories depicting a mother as seen through the daughter's eyes. It is a compilation of poems representing the marvelous feats a mother can do for her family. This book is the author’s celebration of love for her mother.

One thing I admire the most about poets is their ability to bring forth emotions in such a short verse. In just a few lines, a poet can evoke numerous feelings and memories. It’s incredible and fascinating how poets can make readers see a different experience yet feel the same sentiment. The author did it very well in this collection. We had different childhoods and experienced unalike moments, but the contentment and the love we felt are just the same.

While the pieces are in free-verse, the author still utilized irregular end rhymes in most poems. The collection focuses more on a realistic kind of poem. Instead of using metaphors to describe intense emotions, the author poetically narrated significant memories of typical household life with her mother. For me, the emotions that the events the author described brought forth lovely feelings from when my grandmother was still with me. There were times I felt a tear running down my cheeks as the author urged her mother to fight for her health. And there were times I laughed so hard as the author shares her mother’s wisdom. Everything felt authentic and vibrant. I genuinely enjoyed reading this book.

I couldn’t think of anything I disliked about this book. I appreciated every aspect of this collection of pieces. The kind and carefree tone add to the comfort I felt while reading. Even the album of family photos brought perfection to this book. It is truly the type of book I would want to read while sipping tea and relaxing in the backyard.

With all of that said, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved and enjoyed this collection. All the emotions felt authentic, and it's such a touching gesture to write a book dedicated to a mom. Even the book cover didn’t fail to bring warmth to the beholder. There are also minor typographical errors, but they didn't affect my reading experience. I honestly had fun reading this book on my rest day.

I would recommend this to loving children of their mother or grandmother. I think they would relate to everything written in this book. I also believe this is an excellent present to give to a mother. Children can also get inspiration from this if they want to write a personal poem they can dedicate to their mothers.

ALady Called Mom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

I'd like to get my hands on this book because it appears to be filled with hope. Mothers are exceptional human beings who deserve to be loved and cared for as much as possible. Great review
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a beautiful description of this collection of poems! This book seems like the perfect gift to give on Mother's Day! Thanks for the amazing recommendation. I am looking forward to enjoying these poems.
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

I haven't finished to read any poetry book before, with your review i think i would try to read it😃
With the story behind it, to me a mother is a person who will sacrifice anything in her life for her children. As a daughter, i will think over what i've done for my mom. As a mother, this story will encourage me to do more. Love your review, and i think i will love this book too.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I love this book and the writer professing their love to their mother. Seems like a great read. Can't wait to read it. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”