Review of The heaviest calm

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The heaviest calm

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The heaviest calm" by Sherine Anniruth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I don't think anyone can ever understand the grief of losing a child without experiencing it. Losing a loved one is always hard to bear, but I think it's on a whole different level when it's one's child. In Heaviest Calm by Sherine Anniruth, we get to feel a mother's grief for her son's death through touching and inspiring poems and quotes.

Sherine lost her eldest son, Nadeem, when he was just 25. The author tells us that living without him is a struggle that she faces each day. She, therefore, dedicates the book to everyone who has lost a loved one and encourages them to continue to cherish the memories of their lost loved ones.

Aside from encouraging readers to take advantage of the therapeutic effects of writing when in grief, I think the poems in this book would help readers who have lost someone understand that they are not alone. I appreciated the author's message of hope and love. But what I like most about this book is the author's message that grief is not a bad thing but a price of love. Through the poems and quotes, readers would also understand that grief is different for each individual and learn to accept the loss of their loved ones and hope to reunite with them again in the afterlife. I also love how the author reminds us to love one another as if there's no tomorrow.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the colorful pages in the book. The pictures of exotic flowers formed the background for the texts, which made the book appealing. I also liked some of the poems, especially the ones with rhymes. Some of them were so touching that I struggled to hold back my tears. I must also commend the author's use of metaphors and personification to breathe life into her words. More so, I found some quotes in the book to be very inspiring. My favorite one reads: "You cannot always be happy, but you can always be brave. And that would be the beginning of everything good in your life." I concur!

Nevertheless, most of the poems and quotes in the book didn't have titles, making it hard to easily allude to them or even tell prospective readers my favorite one. Also, some of them appeared more than once, thereby detracting from my enjoyment of the book. The book's editing leaves a lot to be desired, as I also found over ten errors during my read. Honestly, I wish the author would look into these issues so that the title can live up to its promise.

In conclusion, I enjoyed most of the quotes and poems in the book, and I loved that some of them were from the author's husband. However, the poor editing and uninspiring organization let the publication down. I wish I could give it 2.5 stars because that's the rating I think it deserves. But since that's not possible here, I am rating the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who have lost a loved one, especially those who enjoy poems and short quotes.

The heaviest calm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

I read her novel Thee Ultimate Love which was on the same topic.
Anyone who wants to read the story can go through that as well .
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Grief is never easy. I can not even imagine losing a child. Thank you for the review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Writing is a way to let out the grief and this books is a classic example of this. I really loved the quote, " You cannot always be happy, but you can be brave." Thank you for your through review!
🌻🌼
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Loss of a loved is not an easy fit. Losing a child is a whole other story. I like that the author focuses on love, hope and bravery in the midst of grief. Good job, Saint Bruno 💯
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

This one is too real, thanks for an honest and informative review. :)
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Losing a child is really a painful experience. Good review by Bruno.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

So sad! I can't even imagine losing a child if I had one. The book is like a kind of encouragement to people to stay strong. Nice job on the review!
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I can imagine that losing a child must be the most traumatic experience. I can commend the author for writing about her grief and sharing it with us. I do hope she fixes the issues you mentioned. Well done on the beautifully written review.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

It’s so sad loosing a loved one,a child,the feeling is heartbreaking,beautiful review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This will probably be a heart-wrenching read. Thank you for the review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

It’s disheartening to lose a loved one. The pain can never be alleviated for some reason. I hope this creation helps the author to be at ease. Thanks for this review!
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

The cover attracted me and now reading your review am really going to read it. Losing a loved one is not easy and we all deal it in different ways. I trully hope that writing has helped the author. The quote is awesome.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The flower cycle is a good illustration for life. Grief is never easy. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Grief is bitter, loosing a child is very sad, beautiful review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”