Review of Artwords

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Artwords

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Words can form phrases and texts, but Robles shows that they can also create fascinating images. She uses a technique called calligram, which involves arranging words to form shapes and pictures. Nevertheless, this is not the only type of artwork this book contains. The author uses other books in order to produce her own prose when she chooses to highlight specific terms from other texts. Robles also combines everyday objects, such as scissors and sponges, with stories and sensual words that give the texts multiple meanings.

Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles is a unique poetry book that brings several artworks from the author. Each text brings an implicit meaning or interesting wordplay, creating different stories about each picture. Some tales might confuse the readers or make them laugh at the end because of the sensual metaphors Robles created on purpose. But the entire book will surprise the reader with the author's creativity and her intelligent use of words.

My favorite parts of this book were the photographs that mixed literature with ordinary objects since they caught the simplicity and casualty of people's daily lives. For example, one of the photos has a comb with words that makes it look like a woman is talking to her comb about how the object gives her confidence and makes her feel pretty. But I also enjoyed the author's metaphors about sex and intimate moments that united words and pictures to form short narratives with unusual endings that made me laugh and reflect on life too.

There was nothing to dislike in this book. It was exceptionally edited and well-written since I didn't find a single error in my entire reading. In addition to that, the author principally used simple phrases and words that most people use every day. Therefore, the compositions were easy to understand, and this aspect also brings the author closer to the readers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a collection of the author's incredible artworks that blend sensual aspects from everyday lives and creative images. I recommend it to adult readers interested in sensual poetry, calligrams, and other arts with words. However, I don't recommend it to those readers who aren't interested in the intimate lives of couples since this is the main subject of this book. I also don't recommend it to those readers who aren't interested in poetry or artistic prose.

Artwords
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a unique and very intriguing read! I would definitely check this out since I adore poetry :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
PHOEBE CLAIRE L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-claire-l.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by PHOEBE CLAIRE L »

This book is quite interesting for I have read several books on drama and poetry but only a handful uses calligram.
Your review is helpful and amazing. It made me interested to read the book. Thank you very much.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Wow! This book is pretty different from the ones that I’ve read. Calligram is something new to me. I definitely want to read this book. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

This is such a unique way to write (and draw?) and I'd love to have a physical copy of such a boo. I will look into it for sure. Thank you for your review! Sounds fantastic to have on the coffee table as well.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Indeed words can create fascinating images. Great review here.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I haven't heard of calligram before and I'm quite intrigued by the idea of it. The theme of the book is fascinating and I'd like to know more about it. Thanks for the review.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

The cover is so beautiful. I'm curious to see the pages of the book sounds like a beautiful fascinating book of poems 😍 added it to my TBR list. Thank you for the amazing review
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

The book seems nice, I was especially drawn by the part" where she uses a technique which involves arranging words to from shapes and pictures" I'll give the book a try, Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am definitely intrigued. I am not married, so I am wary about the "intimate lives of couples" part. But let me cross the bridge when I get there.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like an incredibly unique book that combines calligrams, everyday objects and thought-provoking poetry. I am intrigued! Thanks for the great review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

What an interesting and fun concept for a book. It has a little bit of everything in it. Nice review.
-Amy
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am fascinated by the use of calligrams to create art. I look forward to seeing the rest of the art. Thank you for a beautiful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a unique drama and poetry book highlighting unique prose and artwork, and the ability to combine art and words to form a fusion of art and literature. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Emmy Cyrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Emmy Cyrielle »

Great review. Definitely got me interested. I never read a book by Beatriz M. Robles but this will be a good start. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”