Review of Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life" by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life by Jeffrey Paul Bailey is a collection of poems that reflect the poet's mind and feelings about various aspects of life like passion, pain, love, despair, guilt, the dynamics in relationships, amongst others. While a few of the poems have rhymes and rhythm, most of them do not. Also, some are straightforward, while some have hidden meanings in them.

One of my favorite poems in the book, 'Get Me Through,' is about resilience and victory in the face of naysayers and haters. It opens with one of my favorite lines in the book, which reads: "It's not so lonely at the top when everyone's trying to nudge you from your spot." Isn't that powerful? However, the poem that personally ministered to me is titled 'The Luxury of Complacency.' It is a thought-provoking piece that inspires readers to break out of their comfort zones.

What I like most about this title is the author's exciting writing style. I enjoyed his use of symbolism to express himself. An example is the use of snow and cold to depict loneliness. More so, figures of speech like metaphor and simile invoke the reader's imagination, making the poems engaging. Readers would also enjoy some homophones and wordplays in the book. One such example is "Tomorrow Mourning," which is a title for one of the poems. I love that!

Furthermore, I appreciate the author's message through some of the poems. He speaks against body shaming and hypocrisy. Also, he encourages readers to make hay while the sun shines, as nobody's youth is permanent. I believe readers would reflect on their own life while reading the various poems in the book due to how relatable they are.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was its cover. I believe many readers won't mind it, and some may even perceive it to symbolize something; however, I didn't think it did justice to the book's content. That aside, I enjoyed the musings throughout the book and liked that it added some new words to my vocabulary. I found the poems inspiring and thought-provoking. Hence, I am rating the book four out of four stars. My dislike for the book cover doesn't touch the book's value, and we might see it redesigned in subsequent editions, so the book deserves the four-star rating. The book also seems professionally edited though it contains some errors. I highly recommend this book to lovers of poetry books and musings that lean toward sardonic and optimistic reflections about life, relationships, and sexual identity.

Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Poets and lovers of poetry will love this one. Great review
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

The author seems to touch on important issues. I would like to read this book. Thank you for your review!
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I haven't read poetry in quite a while. This one seems like it would be suitable for me so I will give this a go. Thank you for your review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the author described the wide range of emotions to the readers in an authentic way. Also commendable is the abundant use of the symbol.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I am not a huge fan of poetry, but I just can't pass your amazing review. Well done!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very interesting collection of poetry that sends out great message. I would love to check this one out! :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like that the poems lean on optimistic reflections. I am sure fans of poetry will appreciate this. Thanks for your review.
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

Those readers who love poetry will love this book. Thanks for providing this well-written review that gives an insight into what the book is all about.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This poetry collection comprising rhyming and non-rhyming poems on love, relationships, and emotions is a treat for every poetry lover.
Thanks for this thorough and wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love how the author reflects on aspects of life in short parts. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I always have held poets at the highest pederstral. As a former student of English literature I have always loved poetry and my favourites are that are thought provoking, self musings and explain various dynamics of life. Great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

One of my favorite poems in the book, 'Get Me Through,' is about resilience and victory in the face of naysayers and haters. It opens with one of my favorite lines in the book, which reads: "It's not so lonely at the top when everyone's trying to nudge you from your spot." Isn't that powerful? However, the poem that personally ministered to me is titled 'The Luxury of Complacency.' It is a thought-provoking piece that inspires readers to break out of their comfort zones.
What a great quote!
The topics you mentioned are surprisingly relatable and empowering, which is something I appreciate in poetry. And I don't have a problem with the cover, although I understand it is bizarre enough for some people to dislike it.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have never been a fan of poetry. I never seem to have a good understanding of it , but this book sounds very interesting. I'm sure poetry lovers will enjoy this one. Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

An anthology of poems exploring various themes seems inspiring.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”