Review of The Tower & the Star

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of The Tower & the Star

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tower & the Star" by B. D. Hildreth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Tower and The Star by B.D Hildreth is a poetry book that brings together thirteen poems. It contains simple poems that express the author's gloomy feelings. The poems are dark and have a sense of despair in them. In each poem, the author has a central character who interacts with his surroundings.

I liked that his poems were set in nature. In each of the poems, various elements of nature were included. His description of nature was vivid, and I was able to picture the various things he mentioned in my mind. He talked about things like the flame of a fire, the wind, darkness, snow, and so on. He used these things to bring the reader into his world, which made me enjoy it immensely.

I enjoyed the sense of melancholy that permeated the poems. The poems depict the central character as lonely and in fear of all the noises made by nature. He gives various elements of nature characters like calling the wind cruel and frightful in one of his poems. This transmits the character's uncertainty when it comes to life. This makes the poems in the book haunting and gives the reader a sense of dread, which I think is what the author was going for.

I felt like I was on an adventure as I read each poem, which delighted me. Through the character in the poems, we go through winter, and we hear wolves, and we walk in the snow, and so on. This enables the reader to empathize with the character and identify with his feelings. The poems will delight the reader as it seems they are weaved into one story by the end. I also loved how the author ended with a sense of hope at the end. This lightened up the book of poems and felt uplifting.

However, one may need a dictionary to understand some of the words. The author uses words like tenebrific, which means causing gloom or darkness, après, which means coming after in time, typically specifying a period following an activity, to name but a few examples. This means readers are tasked with finding out the meaning of these words to fully appreciate the poems. Although this might seem tedious, it truly made me enjoy the poems more as well as learn new words. Therefore, in my opinion, looking up these words is worth it.

This book seems to be exceptionally well-edited, as I did not find any errors. I would highly recommend it to people who like reading sad poems. You will find yourself immersed in the book as it will take you on an exciting journey. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I found the poems inspiring.

The Tower & the Star
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

Any poem I read seems like an adventure. Wonderful review! I love reading poems.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Have always been a great fan of poetry. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”