Review of Waterman

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Review of Waterman

Post by Rachael S 1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterman" by Echezonachukwu Nduka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterman by Echezonachukwu Nduka is a collection of short poems inspired by urban life, music, and water.

The author of these poems is a Nigerian poet and musicologist who specializes in piano music by West African composers. This clearly comes across in his writing. Many of the poems written were focused upon an urban lifestyle or had a musical theme to them. There was also a recurrent theme of water throughout the poems, appearing to symbolize cleansing, life, and freedom.

Through his poems, the author is able to bring across many emotions in his passionate writings. It is a winding journey through the author’s experiences in Nigeria and as an experienced musician. Passion from the author's life experiences translates into his writing humorously and philosophically. I was surprised at the intensity of some of the poems, where others were light and airy.

Throughout the poems, the author uses many details to evoke emotions and allows the reader to close their eyes and experience the emotion the author is trying to convey. I enjoyed the emotional range the author takes the reader through. Some poems expressed love, where others expressed intense sadness. There was such a nice flow between the poems that I did not want to put the book down.

One aspect that I enjoyed was the different formats the poems took. Some of the poems were short, but others spanned a few pages. Depending on the story the author was hoping to tell, it was reflected in the style of the poem. Some of the poems rhyme, but many of the poems are written in freestyle verse.

I enjoyed the format of the book. There was something enjoyable about how the book was formatted. The title of the poems is written in bold, small caps at the top of the page. The poems themselves are in a different style of font. The combination of the title formatting and poem formatting made the transition from each poem more enjoyable.

I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors. This book appears to have been professionally edited. I was very inspired by many of the poems in this book, and I hope that the author will write more in the future. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this poem to anyone who enjoys reading poetry, especially those who love music or an international perspective. Those who enjoy poetry will appreciate taking the time to read this book.

Waterman
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Poems can be so difficult to review sometimes but your review makes these poems sound intriguing and full of emotion and music. Thanks for the great review
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

I sometimes struggle with poetry because I can't find the emotions that are supposed to be there in poems or I can't connect with them. That's why I mostly don't even bother, but rather I read novels, but the way you described this collection makes me believe I could honestly enjoy it. Thank you for your review! :)
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I've just started to like poems and this book seems like it will be a good fit for me. I always admire music no matter what kind it is so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”