Review of 1000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of 1000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "1000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals" by Raul De La Rosa Sr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book with the emotional title 1,000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals by Raul De La Rosa, Sr., consists of 27 poems of a predominantly romantic character. Each of the poems has also been translated into Spanish. Most of the poems are loving and are dedicated to an unnamed lady for whom the author longs and suffers. In addition, the poet talks about other types of intimacy in some of his poems. Thus, one of them is dedicated to unconditional love for his mother, and the other speaks of eternal friendship and solidarity. The Caribbean, where the author's family comes from, also found a place in the poetry collection and the author's heart.

Most of the poems are moderately short and are only a few stanzas long with a very harmonious and intelligent rhyme. The structure of most poems is similar. Typically, the author says that for most people, happiness means material things, but he longs for her, an unnamed lady to whom he would give his love. A common motive is also leaving an emotional partner and the sadness that leaving causes, while a couple of poems also talk about the depths of depression. To someone who understands both languages, the same lyrics in Spanish will undoubtedly appear a little more emotional.

What I liked about 1,000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals is the author’s ability to convey his sincere emotions to readers in a meaningful and profound way. I appreciate the fact that poems are short or moderate in length, which puts the author’s emphasis on the essence. The poet also uses modern and direct language. Because the author writes the way he speaks, I had the opportunity to experience the poems better. The author is sincere and often vulnerable. The poem I liked the most was the one called Depression and the lyrics "I thought I knew it all But now I really see For this poet to be happy Was never meant to be". In my humble opinion, the poems in the collection are arranged in such a way as to form a gradation from love ecstasy, through despair due to rejection or abandonment, to acceptance of reality. The book is very well edited and contains no errors.

The main objection I have to the book is the fact that the theme of most of the poems is identical. The author addresses an unnamed lady or, through the words of the poem, seeks relief for the emotional wounds inflicted on him by unrequited love. As a result, most of the poems appear similar, which I believe could have been avoided if the author had given the lady in question several identities. Also, the themes of the poems could have been more diverse.

The decision on how to rate the book 1,000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals was complex. I rate the book with three out of four stars. Sincere feelings translated into profound verses in two languages certainly prevail over the often similar content of the poems.

I recommend the book to fans of love poetry and lovers of books soaked in emotions. Also, the collection of poems would be interesting for readers who want to better master their knowledge of Spanish and English.

1000 Sharp Thorns on a Rose with No Petals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

Almost 27 short poems dedicated to one person sounds intriguing. I'm not a fan of poems, however, I'm aware that some are interesting to read. Thanks for this insightful review review. It really provided an insight into what the book is all about.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I love poems in simple, modern language.
This sounds like my type of book.
Thanks for a lovely review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

addicted reader wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 04:55 Almost 27 short poems dedicated to one person sounds intriguing. I'm not a fan of poems, however, I'm aware that some are interesting to read. Thanks for this insightful review review. It really provided an insight into what the book is all about.
I hope you will change your mind about poetry and this book and read it. Thanks for the comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

zainherb wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 05:39 I love poems in simple, modern language.
This sounds like my type of book.
Thanks for a lovely review.
I like the author’s sensibility. It can be seen that the poems were written with the heart. Thanks for stopping by.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I'm not much of a poem person but I really enjoyed reading your review of the book. Well done.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I'm not usually one for poems but these seem intriguing. I love when you can tell how sincere the author is. Great review! :D
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Rishi_reviews wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 00:56 I'm not much of a poem person but I really enjoyed reading your review of the book. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked my review. Thanks for stopping by.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:54 I'm not usually one for poems but these seem intriguing. I love when you can tell how sincere the author is. Great review! :D
The author showed his sensibility and writing quality in the poetry collection. Thanks for the comment and feedback.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to get the chance to improve my Spanish in an artistic way :). It seems like an interesting book, so thanks for the recommendation!
Lerato Mokoena 2
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lerato Mokoena 2 »

I'm not a fan of poems but if someone writes 27 poems just for me ..then I'm in love
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This book of poems sounds like it is filled with so much emotion. It sounds quite touching and dramatic for so many poems to be dedicated to one (unnamed) lady, who may be unaware of this man's feelings. It sounds like the author has poured his heart into his poems. Thank you for the thought-provoking review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”