Review of Poetry for Life

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review of Poetry for Life

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetry for Life" by Booker T Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry for Life by Booker T. Smith is a well-written, well-edited book that I gave 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a book of poetry focused on giving life advice to young, at-risk youth that Smith worked with. Written in a straightforward tone, the book is filled with poems meant to inspire hope for a better life through hard work and faith.

As far as summaries go, that’s about as much as I can write for this book. It’s pretty short, and it’s that brevity that led to me taking a point from the rating in the first place. I think the author could have done so much more with the concept than what we got. That’s not to say that what is there is insufficient. Rather, it’s more that there could have been, well, more. This would have worked towards emphasising the author’s point.

I did, however, like the author’s tone, and this contributed to my rating. For example, “Back to School” doesn’t cut corners in explaining the importance of school. In much the same way, both “Sista” and “Genius Child” celebrate black talent, whether that be the girl in the neighbourhood trying to achieve something or George Washington Carver.

The poems aren’t all sunshine and rainbows, though. “Selling Heaven” is pretty dark, something that continues in “For Heaven’s Sake” and its admonition to stop and straighten out one’s life before it becomes too late. Still, that doesn’t mean they aren’t inspirational. Rather, they balance out the call to faith and goodness inherent to the book with a grounded reality.

It’s that grounded nature that also contributed to my rating. As much as I thought the poetry was already moving, I still appreciated the way these poems also kept my feet on the ground. It’s good because it gives the readers something to aim for, which is what I believe the author is going for.

More than that, I just liked the overall hopeful tone of the book. Most of it may be Smith giving advice, but it still feels like he sees a bright future for his charges. This was quite important to me, given that the topics he handles, like crime and the sale of drugs, are pretty heavy already. There needed to be that sense of something better for the book to work. This would help with exactly that.

It's also rooted in the author’s faith. There’s this belief that things can and will get better through that faith, and I think this was important for a book like this. Faith in a higher being enhances hope. Moreover, it lightens the advice that the author gives through his poems, making it come across as fatherly and caring. I liked that a lot.

All in all, it’s a fairly good book. As I mentioned before, it’s well-edited, and my points above are why I rated it so highly. I’d recommend this book to teenagers in need of a direction in life. It’s a good book for finding that, I think.

Poetry for Life
View: on Bookshelves
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Though, I'm not a usual fan of poetry books; as the book centres on hope and inspiring, it seems to interest me somehow. Welldone on the logical presentation of your review.
Signature of Grace.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

A book poetry for life by Booker T- Smith. It is a poetry book which provides advices to youth in order to survive and struggle against life.
Lunareader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunareader.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by Lunareader »

Your review of the book is great. I would love to read this book since it's a poetic one. Congratulations on the insightful review.
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

The title captivates me, I guess it would be nice reading it with a critic mind. Thanks for the review

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”