Review of Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Review of Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle" by Steven Ederson Sr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle, by Steven Ederson Sr., gives insight into the inner workings of the mind of a young man who is in the middle of his journey towards self-realization. It is a collection of short poems that relays the thoughts of the young man in a poetic manner. It has everything, including love, emotions, enemies, the country, and most importantly—injustice. Injustice is a key element in a number of poems in the book since the protagonist, as a young black man, has experienced a fair amount of these injustices.

The author’s goal in showing the readers his journey towards realization was met in this book. He did not focus on one element, such as love. Instead, every poem has a different element in it that makes it bring a distinct flavor and element to the table. Because of this, it didn’t feel like I was reading a constant flow of text. Rather, it really felt like I was reading the thoughts of the protagonist.

What I liked the most about this book was the comprehensive way in which it was written. Personally, I’m not a big reader of prose literature since oftentimes, the reader has to decipher what is the true meaning of each phrase. However, even though the book was a collection of poems, it was written comprehensively enough that it didn’t feel taxing to read. It flowed, just like a person’s thoughts would. Aside from this, I also liked the passion that can be felt from the poems in the book. The passion in the text was appropriately done; it wasn’t overwhelming, nor was it lacking.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about the book, nor do I think other readers would either. Everything was done perfectly, from start to finish. The protagonist’s thoughts were given justice, and the book was very easy to read. Even readers who don’t usually read this type of book might like reading this. With that, I would recommend Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle to readers looking to read a book filled with passion, whether or not they like reading poems. However, for readers who are looking for a book with a plot that has a straight construct, this is not it.

I did not find any errors in the book. Therefore, I would say that it was exceptionally edited. I had a great reading experience with this book, and I don’t see any reason why it would deserve anything less than a full rating. With that said, I’m giving this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The theme of the book seems fascinating to me and I'll certainly like to know how the man realised the truth of life and found himself. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Though, I've not been reading poetic books. And I'll like to try it as well. The analysis of the book here means the book promised a comprehensive read.
Signature of Grace.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

The title of the book interested me. I first thought it was about animals and then I realized the asphalt jungle meant the city. The review comprehensively tells us what to expect from the book. It sounds likes a varied number of poems and I would be keen to read the book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”