Review of The Aftermath Of The King

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The Aftermath Of The King

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Aftermath Of The King" by Robert Murray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While still searching for a legitimate successor to the throne, Camelot has a pressing issue that needs to be solved immediately. And even though Queen Guinevere is in a nunnery where she took a vow of chastity, her only goal is still the preservation of Camelot. So she emerges from the nunnery to help rid Camelot of an army of ruthless Scandinavians and its evil leader, Zorgar.

Queen Guinevere and four gallant knights, Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain, set off to bring down Zorgar. However, their job won't be easy, and they need to convince a man they thought they knew to help them. Who could this man be? Will Queen Guinevere succeed in ridding Camelot of Zorgar? And who will accede to the throne? Find the answers to these questions and more in this epic poem by Robert Murray titled The Aftermath of the King: Volume 1 (Camelot Chronicles).

I have long been fascinated by the story of Camelot and the legendary King Arthur, so I was excited to receive this title because I wanted to see how the author adapted the epic poem from the tale. And I must say that the author didn't disappoint. The introduction that the author provides at the beginning of the book is insightful. I love how it prepares the reader for the poem's contents, especially concerning what the reader might have known about the Arthurian legend and the historical facts at that time.

My favorite aspects of this book are the captivating rhyming pattern and how they don't seem forced. If you are into poems, you would understand how annoying it is when a poet appears to want to make verses rhyme at the expense of really making sense. I am happy to report that that isn't the case here. Also, I enjoyed the author's use of colorful and elegant diction in his narrations. I couldn't help but admire the author's use of sublime words, as they made the poem exciting.

Furthermore, the poet adorns his writing with figures of speech like metaphor, hyperbole, and simile. I especially enjoyed how they evoked my sense of imagination and helped me picture the poet's narrations. Here are a few lines to help you appreciate my point: "He proved it was confused philosophy when he ate great fighters like luncheon and spit them out reflexively, breaking bones like poorly made pottery." I love that!

The themes of loyalty, reverence, humility, bravery, selfless leadership, and destiny are inspiring, and I appreciate the morals that one can draw from the poem. Among the many lessons in the book, the one that stood out to me was that we must use our God-given gifts for good.

I had a beautiful reading experience with this book. The story is expertly crafted and delivered through a creative rhyming scheme that will thrill lovers of epic poems. The poet also maintains an atmosphere of suspense throughout the narrations, surprises the reader with a few twists, and crafts a satisfying end. The characters are unique, of which my favorite is Varnell due to his artistic traits. The book's editing is also exceptional. So what's there to dislike? I honestly didn't find any. Hence, I am glad to rate the book four out of four stars. And I highly recommend it to lovers of epic poems, especially those who find the Arthurian legend intriguing.

The Aftermath Of The King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, seems to be a fascinating read for all lovers of the Arthurian cycle! I would love to read this one for sure :) Thank you very much for a wonderful review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

This reminds me of the series "Merlin". I would love to find out how the rightful successor takes the throne. Thanks for the informative review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Wow! Just, wow! A book about Camelot is one thing, a poem about Camelot is a whole different ball game. If the first few pages are as exciting as I hope, I might just finish this book today.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love reading about Camelot and its heroes, so I can't wait to add this to my reading list. Thank you for your great recommendation!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This book has intrigued me. Ill have to find out who the man is and what happens next. Thank you for a great review! :D
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I would love to read this retelling! Thanks ;)
Consolata s 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Consolata s 1 »

Wow. This seems amazing it gives off vibes of Merlin form this book. As I enjoyed watching merlin I am sure I will enjoy reading it.
Safeah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Safeah »

Yes, When I saw Camelot, Merlin came to mind. What intriguing and appetizing story. Great review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I also love the Camelot brand. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A well-crafted story filled with suspense and twists and turns. I am glad you found the characters unique and the ending satisfying. Not my genre, though, so I will pass. However, fans of epic poems will enjoy it! Thank you for the detailed, engaging review! :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting captivating historic poetry book highlighting drama, leadership, war, and a poetic journey through Camelot. The book is temporarily discounted on Kindle Unlimited and has a masterfully-crafted OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

The story of King Arthur and the knights of Camelot have always been an area of interest for me. I'll check this out. Great review
Toca Fonseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toca-fonseca.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Toca Fonseca »

Although the tales of King Arthur and Camelot are some that really spike my interest, I personally don't read much poetry and it's something that I would love could appreciate more, but by your description, I can tell that it really is something well written and that takes you back into that time. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

The story of King Arthur and Camelot has always been great. This is so similar it seems. Add the beloved Genevieve and I totally melt down. I am glad that the review brings out the powerful message of service for Country. Loyalty and steadfastness. Behold a poem! I have never been good with poetry but the use of similes and metaphors have me hooked. Congratulations!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”