Review of Particles Of Truth In Fractured Sunlight

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Particles Of Truth In Fractured Sunlight

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Particles Of Truth In Fractured Sunlight" by Peter McDonough Sr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Particles of Truth in Fractured Sunlight, written by Peter McDonough Sr., is a collection of assorted poems that explore themes such as love, loss, the reality of life, amongst many others. The poet reflects on many topics, intending to uncover the truth about life.

This collection contains folk songs, blues, a few free-verse poems, and many poems that follow exciting rhyming patterns. One of my favorites, 'The Diligent Ones,' honors our forefathers who paved the way for us and are responsible for the life we enjoy today. Another one titled 'Old Stone Rows' is about the graveyard, and it reminds us of the inevitability of death.

What I like most about this book is how thought-provoking the poems are. Readers would find a piece or two that would make them reflect on their lives, just as I did. A few lines from the poem, 'Rat Race,' reads: "At the four o'clock hour, the rats come pouring from their dumpsters, pouring into the city streets where they scream at each other with horns built by others who understand that the value of impatience sells itself to those in a hurry to go nowhere." I am sure you can relate to that expression.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the author's poetic techniques and expertly structured rhythm and rhymes. Moreover, the poet uses figures of speech, symbolism, and imagery to make his words come alive, and I like how it's easy to form mental pictures of his expressions.

Additionally, I appreciate the poet's message of hope, patience, and contentedness through some of the poems. One such example is the poem, 'Weathered and Worn,' which reminds us that despite our circumstances, 'blue skies emerge when the storm clouds give way.' From another poem, I learned that we sometimes ask for more of something out of greed, and when we get it, we often find that it is not to our advantage. I can't thank the author enough for that powerful message.

The only negative aspect I found in the book is its editing. Though I love the font style, I didn't expect to encounter easily identifiable typos in the 95-page publication. One of the poems didn't also have a title. Because I found up to ten errors in the book, I knocked a star off its rating, but I couldn't rate it lower due to how much I enjoyed the poems and how the poet's reflections evoked mine. Hence, I am awarding Particles of Truth in Fractured Sunlight three out of four stars. And I recommend it to lovers of poetry books that reflect on various topics about life and the eventualities that come with it.

Particles Of Truth In Fractured Sunlight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

The author could work on the editing of this book. It feels like a hard work reading a poorly edited book. Thank you for your honest review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Despite the poor editing identified in Particles of Truth in Fractured Sunlight, I consider this poetry collection a treasure. This is because of the rich varied themes of love, life and death covered in the collection. Hope I enjoy it too.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It seems like the author did a great job with this book. It's a shame for the errors. Thank you for the review ;)
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

I'm not much of a poem person but this book seems a bit promising to me. The genres that it has touched are my favourites so I think I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for the review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your recommendation! I hope the editing will be fixed so we can fully enjoy the book.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I love poems especially when they have mixed themes. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the informative review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I'm a huge poetry enthusiast, and I believe I'm going to love this one. Great job with the review, thanks!^^
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I love to read poetry and you have mentioned how enjoyable the poems are. However, I hope the author does something about the editing. I believe this could hamper my enjoyment of the book. Thank you for your review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a wonderful poetry collection! Folk-songs and blues make it so much intriguing :) Thanks so much for a great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Poetry is a work of (he)art that I treasure. I'd like to read this one, after it has been edited of course! Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

These poems seem interesting. Love and loss are big parts of our everyday lives. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for a great review! :D
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always been a great fan of anthologies. Would definitely love to add this to my bookshelf and hopefully try it out! Great review.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I tried poetry while ago; I had difficulty in getting the message. I think I need to get more used to; so I can enjoy this type of literature. Great job on the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”