Review of The Residue of Our Desires

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of The Residue of Our Desires

Post by shravsi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Residue of Our Desires" by Darcy Green.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As much as I enjoy well-written prose, poetry will always have a special place in my heart. As an introvert, conversations don’t come naturally to me. Even if I push myself to interact with others, it is difficult to find a like-minded person to have deep conversations with. That’s when books that have shared interests come in handy. Reading these types of books will give me a sense of acknowledgment, and it shows that I am not alone.

With this book, The Residue of Our Desires, I was able to identify and introspect the dormant thoughts that were weighing on my mind. This book is a collection of numerous sayings and poems written by Darcy Green. Some poems were short, and some poems spanned over one page. This book mostly consisted of free verse poetry with frequent rhyming couplets. And there were also a few conversation-style poems.

Through this book, the author expressed his feelings about various topics such as relationships, capitalism, death, animal cruelty, earth’s exploitation, politicians, war, ego, God, atheism, our monkey mind, the plights of Sherpas, parenting, hope, and so on. He even talked about a young man meeting his in-laws! As a whole, every topic that appeared in this book was related to our modern-day world.

The writing was intense, yet easily understandable. This book was professionally edited since I found only two minor errors. Since the poems were from a broad range of subjects, I never got bored. I liked “The Family Feud” poem which, as the title suggests, talked about family. These lines, “Our parents teach us how to be And yet other times, how not to be,” felt so true; I think so many kids who grew up in dysfunctional homes will relate to this. “The Sea Shepherd” poem highlighted an organization that is trying to conserve marine life; this was new information for me.

The sayings in between acted as a breather because this book contains more than 60 poems. The quote, “If I could divide mankind into two categories, it would be bees and flies. We know what bees attract to and we certainly know what flies attract to,” made me chuckle for a long time. Since there were a lot of poems, I took a long time to savor this book. But it is possible to read this book in one sitting.

The author touched on both personal issues and societal issues; this was my favorite aspect of this book. I think I have made it clear by now that I have no negative comments about this book. For all these above reasons, I will rate this book four out of four stars.

If you are a fan of poetry and you like poems about contemporary topics, then give this book a try. If you are new to poetry books and want to enter the poetry world, this book is a great place to start. Every reader who likes introspective writing will enjoy this book. Happy reading.

The Residue of Our Desires
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I have to agree with you. I'm an introvert who loves poetry so I'll definitely be checking this put. Thanks for your review!
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I have to agree with you. I'm an introvert who loves poetry so I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks for your review!
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

Even I'm an introvert and don't feel like talking to random people. I'm not a big fan of poems but this one seems like it'll be a good pick for me. Thaks for the good work.
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

Personally, I enjoy introspective and free verse poetry and your review has certainly ignited that spark and made me curious. Amazing review. Thank you
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am an introvert also, but I don’t like poetry. I don’t understand it. Not sure what that says about me. This book does seem to cover a variety of topics, though, and is sure to reach those who need it.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I am not much interested into poetry but your review made me interested in this book. I will definitely read this one.
Thank you for the review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Hussein Abdallah 1
Currently Reading: Break the Chains of Dieting
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Hussein Abdallah 1 »

I agree with you that the author touched on both personal issues and societal issues; this also is my favorite aspect on reading books...thanks for your wonderful review...
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always been a great fan of anthologies. Would definitely love to add this to my bookshelf and hopefully try it out! Great review.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

I have read lots of poetry which I didn't find interesting. I hope this would be better
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I like the premise for this nicely put together collection of poems. The cover and title are perfect for the contents. A little introspection is good for all of us, and although this poetry could be read in one sitting, I believe I shall enjoy reading a couple at a time and ruminate on the message they contain. Thanks for an excellent review on this book.
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

I really like that there seems to be a wide range of topics and themes covered in this book. I want to read more poetry so it'll give me an idea of what I do and don't like. Thanks for the review!
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I'm not into poetry so the book is not for me. However, fans of this genre would appreciate and enjoy this book. The author has included a variety of themes and topics, so it's quite diverse.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Perhaps there are dormant thoughts on our minds that need reawakening. Would poetry be the key to such an opportunity? With great sayings of the wise and several anecdotes of poems as espoused by this review, a lot of choices and positive changes can be made in one's life. Congratulations BOTD.
BrayoMninja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by BrayoMninja »

I really like that there seems to be a wide range of topics and themes covered in this book. I want to read more poetry so it'll give me an idea of what I do and don't like. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”