Review of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku

Post by Gabriella H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku" by James W. Gaynor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku by James W. Gaynor is an interesting take on Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Haiku is a Japanese poetic style that involves the use of three lines. These three lines consist of five syllables in the first line, seven in the second line, and five in the third line. This book contains a realistic, humorous, and very relatable summary of Pride and Prejudice.

This short book provides a clear, detailed, and straightforward explanation of the sixty-one chapters of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. According to James W. Gaynor, it is his attempt to “replace the haiku’s traditional duality of emotion with an ironic twist conveyed by the narrator, challenging the usual seriousness of literary criticism.” (Location 413)

What I enjoyed the most about this book was the wittiness and bluntness of the author. I found it extremely humorous. I like that this book made me laugh so much. The author used a good amount of sarcasm and straightforward language. The explanations were also in modern-day and relatable English. Therefore, this book will greatly help those who struggle with understanding old English to understand this book. I really enjoyed the commentary by the author, and his comments reminded me of the voice-over commentary on Jane the Virgin. Its arrangement and adequate spacing also made this book appealing to me.

Reading the explanations by James W. Gaynor made me feel like reading the actual book all over again. Yes, the explanations are that good. For example, the first line of chapter thirty-three is, “More than once did Elizabeth, in her ramble within the park, unexpectedly meet Mr. Darcy.” The corresponding commentary is, “ Darcy started to stalk her. Which Elizabeth found slightly creepy.” (Location 226)

There is nothing I dislike about this book. Concerning errors, I saw only a few errors. The errors did not disturb my enjoyment of this book. I enjoyed this book so much that I can not give it anything lower than a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who have an interest in Jane Austen’s novels, especially Pride and Prejudice. People who enjoy humorous novels and viewing things from different angles will also enjoy this book. Readers who might have been a bit confused while reading Pride and Prejudice will not only enjoy this book, but they will also receive some insight from this simple and humorous explanation of the book. This book contains no sexual content, violence, or profanity.

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Books that have elements of humour always catch my interest. This will be an interesting read. Bravo on a great review.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Ghuddie wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 03:41 Books that have elements of humour always catch my interest. This will be an interesting read. Bravo on a great review.
Yes, I enjoy humorous books too, and I believe you will enjoy reading this book. Thank you!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This book has a couple of strengths. Yes, I applaud the witness and straightforwardness of the author. This is a great read. Thanks for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I can tell from your review that this will be an interesting read. Thanks for the awesome review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”