Review of Gripping The Past

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Gripping The Past

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gripping The Past" by Kieron Immer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all fight our demons. Most people go through difficult times in their lives, and everyone deals with them differently. What is especially difficult is when children are victims of violence and other difficult life circumstances. Such wounds often last a lifetime.

Gripping The Past by Kieron Immer is a collection of poetry in which the author depicts the difficulties he went through during his life. He talks about bullies, depression, violence, grief, fear, pain, parenthood, love, life, and death. However, the family is one of the topics on which special emphasis is placed. Through his poems, the author describes his life difficulties from an early age and how he copes with them. Some poems are allegorically written and can be interpreted differently by each reader. I believe many people can recognize themselves in the verses of this collection. The fact is that the poems are quite emotional. Through the verses, the author gives hope for a better tomorrow and encourages the reader to think about life and the transience of life.

I really like this collection of poems as a whole, especially because it describes a touching life story. I believe many people can identify with most of the poems in this book. I particularly liked the first part of the collection that talks about family. In it, the author's immense love for his loved ones is so prominent. I especially liked the poem "No Waves," in which the transience of life is metaphorically compared to footprints in sand and waves. In it, the author emphasizes his love that is eternal and transcends this life. In addition, I was touched by poems in which the author describes his relationship with his children and in which he regrets some of his actions. Many parents can recognize themselves in these verses and ask themselves if they are making good use of the time they have with their children.

This book doesn't have a lot of negative aspects; however, I didn't like the structure of the poems. Each poem is written differently, and there is no solid structure that applies to the entire collection. In addition, I came across some errors in the book, so I would say the book could have been better edited.

All things considered, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have no big complaints, but I think the book could have been better edited, and the structure of the poems could have been better. I would recommend this book primarily to those who love poetry and those who deal with difficult life situations.

Gripping The Past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Poems on a variety of topics broaden readers' minds on the said topics. Poetry lovers will love this. Nice review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This is really amazing that author could describe so much about the life and it's experiences using the poetic channel. Seems to be an interesting collection of the poems which finally constitute the theme of the book.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I don't really enjoy reading poetry, so I think I would pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but I'll check this one out because of the review.
Oscar E Gomez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oscar E Gomez »

The review of this book is excellent. Not every day we find an author that can show parts of his life in poetry. I will put this book in my list of "to read".
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always been a great fan of anthologies. Would definitely love to add this to my bookshelf and hopefully try it out! Great review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Poems seem to be getting better day by day
Poetic Justice

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”