Review of Edisto, My Edisto

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Edisto, My Edisto

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Edisto, My Edisto" by Evelyn Anne Johnson-Neal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people have a special place that they particularly like to visit. It is usually a place full of beautiful memories. It is a place we always come back to, and we will never get bored of. Edisto, My Edisto! by Evelyn Anne Johnson-Neal is a book in which the author describes the beauty of her favorite place, Edisto Beach.

This book is a collection of poems. In each poem, the author describes her love for Edisto Beach in vivid and unique ways. Each poem shows what the beach looks like at any time of the year. In addition, at the end of each poem is a date that indicates when each poem was written. Also, the book contains personal photographs of the author, and some of them show the inhabitants of Edisto Beach and many shells that the author loves to collect. In addition, the author describes the history of the beach from ancient times and describes the history, symbolism, and meaning of the palmetto tree that is on the flag of South Carolina. It is also important to emphasize that the whole book is based on gratitude to God.

What I like most about this book is the picturesqueness of the poems. The author perfectly conveys the views, sounds, and scents of the beach, and I felt like I was there. I appreciate that she has continued the tradition of visiting Edisto Beach and that she now visits it with her children and grandchildren. I also appreciate that she included her personal photos in the book, which makes this book more special and intimate. One of my favorite poems in this book is "How Is Your Heart?" because the author speaks directly to the reader, and there is an interactive element in it. Also, I was immensely impressed by the poem "Why Do I Love the South?" in which the author states why she loves the South, describing its beauties in every season.

This book does not have any significant negative elements. However, I do not like the fact that the same thoughts are repeated from poem to poem, which contributes to the monotony of this book. In addition, I came across only one error in the book, and it seems well edited.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for all the reasons and arguments mentioned. Although the poems are quite similar in terms of their content, that reason is not enough to lower my rating. I think the author very skillfully conveyed her love for Edisto Beach in the verses of this book. I would recommend this book to all lovers of poetry and those who have a special place to which they often return. Likewise, I think this book would be more appropriate for Christians because God and gratitude to God are mentioned many times throughout the book.

Edisto, My Edisto
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's great to have a personal connection with a place that blesses us with positive memories. Awesome!
VikingNorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by VikingNorge »

I believe that each one of us has our favourite place that we would always want to cherish and keep that memory in our hearts. We might lose that place but the memories will remain.
David +200157
Currently Reading: Lady Ilena: Way of the Warrior
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by David +200157 »

It's the author's love towards beaches,the love to God, gratitude it's what means.The book is a positive vibes.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

These are some of the books that teach how to revere God. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”