Review of Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review of Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution" by Robert Keiper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voices of Liberty in Tribute to The American Revolution by Robert Keiper is written as a play for a single actor. The overall theme of the play is independence. Keiper divides his work into four parts. The narrator explains liberty through the voices of several characters using real-life people and events. We have a young attorney, Patrick Henry, who advocates for colonies and their freedom, despite the dangers of war. British officer Hugh at the battle of Lexington sees firsthand the pointlessness of the war. Furthermore, in the third part, New England farmer describes the loss in the Battle of Bunker Hill. General Washington's aide, Joseph Reed, recruits patriotic General Nathan Hale in the final section of this play.

I listen to this play as an audiobook. It isn’t a burdensome task because I enjoy listening to books in audio format. This one was short, only a 39-minute long audiobook. Nonetheless, it was very impactful. Robert Keiper is also the narrator of the book, and he did an excellent job with it by adding various accents and bringing these characters to life. The care he had for these characters is palpable. Likewise, it was a very emotional delivery of the storyline. All of those things made my reading experience enjoyable. My favorite part of this play is the unmistakable emotional intention of the author.

There is something so universal about perseverance, the fight for freedom, and war that transcends time. Simply put, this relatability to trials and tribulations is deep-rooted in the human DNA. Sometimes we lose perspective about all the adversity our ancestors went through. They become numbers and statistics any yet we live because they fought for our rights. Giving agency to this unnamed ordinary person, a reader can feel them as actual living human beings.

“I suddenly realized I am free because I choose to be free. And nothing, not even death, could shake me from it. And you know? I think any man who doesn’t feel that way about freedom doesn’t have it.”

I found nothing to dislike about this book. As mentioned before, I enjoy listening to audiobooks. It is challenging to judge the grammar of an audiobook, but I tried to find anything out of order. However, there wasn’t anything I noticed, and I even re-listened to it. So, for all of those previously mentioned reasons, I have to rate this book with a perfect score of four out of four stars.

I would recommend this book to all history readers. Furthermore, it is a teachable and quick way to introduce history lessons to high school students. The author wrote this as a play, and I recommend it as an audiobook for better enjoyment. If you enjoy short drama, spoken poetry, theatre, or novellas, you can check this play too.

“I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”

Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
MahimaS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MahimaS »

I enjoy short drama and spoken poetry, so I'd definitely check this out.
katisgah Bee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katisgah-bee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by katisgah Bee »

A book written as a play but it's not Shakespeare. Huh ? Interesting ...
Wanjala Izumarock Jimmy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjala-izumarock-jimmy.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Wanjala Izumarock Jimmy »

“I suddenly realized I am free because I choose to be free. And nothing, not even death, could shake me from it. And you know? I think any man who doesn’t feel that way about freedom doesn’t have it.”

Wow... Just wow

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”